Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Just thinking out loud

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:00 AM
4th Gear
Default Just thinking out loud

I've been looking at the threads and the most common theme is mods for your car. Yes everyone wants to make there car better, whether it be performance or aesthetics. However, the cost at which these mods are made is something to consider. Personally as a broke a$$ college student I feel every dollar spent should be an investment in some way. I see alot of people, not just the audi community, modding there cars but to what end? You spend all this money only to sell the car in a few years at a depreciated value. Yes the joy and passion of driving, fixing your own "modded out" ride makes it worth while but I'm talking monetory long term. Is it really worth it to get that turbo upgrade and the stage 3 big brake kit worth probably more than half the value of the car only to drive it to the grocery store and the occasional late night run in with a bmw? If money is not a concern then obviously you won't find it difficult to spend it, but to budget conscious (broke a$$) people like me all those mods might seem unneccassary if your not on the track enjoying what your Quattro was made to do. Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on anyone modding there rides but I feel some of it is a huge waste of money. Then again its your money right? Well nevermind me, I'm just thinking out loud.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Just thinking out loud

Depends on who you sell your car to when it comes time to get rid of it. If you find yourself a good audi enthusiast, then you will have no problem getting what you want for the car. You are right, a lot of people don't care about all of the "mod's" a car has, and they won't pay for it. There is a small demographic that will though, and that's who I will be looking to sell the car to when it comes time.

As a college student, I can see what you are saying. Money is hard to come by being a full time student. Me, however, being in the Coast Guard and a bachelor, I have plenty of money, and nothing else to spend it on... I love cars...

Old 04-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

^ I agree.w/ Karl. I mean if driving & cars are a passion of yours, then I see no
problem in indulging in your hobby / interests if you can afford it.
A majority of the posts are going to be car mod-related bec.. well, it is a performance car forum

To some it is a big waste of money - so I say go drive a Daewoo or Kia & get a great warranty...
but to others part of the fun of owning the car - is modding / customizing it to be your own...
I like Buddha's quote (the real one not me [:-] )

Better to travel well than to arrive

Somehow i know that applies...

Old 04-26-2006, 05:22 AM
5th Gear

Lol if you were that worried about money and putting it in to a car you should get any car, its not just mods cars EAT money they are just a ******* money pit but some of us love to work on and make cars fast, who cares what happens years down the road, you have fun and a good time while you have it so why not make it more fun

Old 04-26-2006, 05:48 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you, Confucius.

It's a hobby, not an investment. If you can't afford it don't do it. Granted, it's a helluva expensive hobby with no way to make your money back, but nobody approaches it that way. Think of it as buying a real sports car a couple grand at a time.

EDIT: Besides, what's money for if not to spend it on **** that makes you happy? Who had a better life, Warren Buffett or Hugh Hefner? (I know Hef is still monstrously rich; pretend he blew his whole fortune. I can't think of a better example right now.)

Money in the bank when you die is money wasted. Make investments, get a job, make money so you can do the things that you love and that make you happy. F*ck having money. Why would anyone ever want a job if they didn't have something else they actually wanted to spend their time doing that required they make money somehow? That's why there's weekends.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Senior Administrator

Here's my $0.02...

Where do you buy your clothes? The THRIFT STORE, right?

You do ALL your food shopping at the bulk warehouse, too?

Or, better yet, frequent the suop kitchens for their free fare?

ONLY wear hand-me-down shoes, naturally, I'm sure.

Hair down to your mid-back, to save on the cost of haircuts?

Here's the thing. We all have things we indulge ourselves with, and things we decide to pass over. If someone wants to save all their nickles in a jar under their mattress so they can "finally" get that last sticker that'll add 5 more, at the wheel, that's a value decision/moral choice THEY made. Right? While your thinking, ponder over why you don't donate all your spare change to ending world hunger. Or, alter your course load to put you in a position to be able to design an engine of peace. We've all got our own code, our own moral compass that guides our actions. You're obviously in the process of discovering where, exactly yours points. Good luck with that. Sincerely. Good luck. And, good luck with finals, too.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

Its all about dreams, hard work and satisfaction. We all have something that we strive for or dream about. (at least I hope we all do) It gets my heart pounding when I look at my car and dream about everything that I can/could do to it. Now, Im not in college but I am married with a kid 3 weeks away from delivery. Believe me I know money is tight. But I save a penny here or refrane from buying that Monster Engery Drink as I fill up with gas. I work hard to save what I can so that eventually I will be able to afford that next part of my dream. When you go to the car shows, do you ever look at the show car owners face as people point, admire, and stare at what they have created. That is the satisfaction. And if once you are there, and you wonder well now what? Then its time to dream, and work again. This time with another vehicle. Its a passion or as my wife puts it a disease.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
5th Gear

this is turning out to be quite the introspective thread.....the fact that it's on an AUDI forum is pretty ironic. i mean, if anyone is guilty of wasting money on cars, it's EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM. how do you justify spending 2 or 3 or 5 times more for your car when you could've gotten a more economical and more reliable car for much less?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Administrator

HEY!!!! [:@] I resent that comment!!! There's NOTHING more reliable than my... Hang on... My UberZingGerknuelben fell off, gotta go back and pick it up... OK, where was I? Oh yeah! NOTHING is mor reliable than my Audi... SCHITT... Engine DIED... Hang on while I push my car to the bank, so I can make my next $500.00 payment on thie GAS HOG!!! Back soon

Old 04-26-2006, 04:50 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: bentframe

this is turning out to be quite the introspective thread.....the fact that it's on an AUDI forum is pretty ironic. i mean, if anyone is guilty of wasting money on cars, it's EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM. how do you justify spending 2 or 3 or 5 times more for your car when you could've gotten a more economical and more reliable car for much less?
Right. I know Acuras are good cars and the TL even looks pretty cool, but in the end there is nothing special about them at all. BORING! A Camry or Avalon may be the most reliable cars ever built, but who wants one of those?

Just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the crazy stuff we do for and with our cars is sometimes difficult to justify or even to explain. One thing is certain - it's not all based on facts and figures.

Quick Reply: Just thinking out loud