AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Key in wash? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/key-wash-99994/)

01A4T 04-25-2008 01:14 AM

Key in wash?

yeaaaaah, so I was doing the laundry, and about 15 minutes after I threw my stuff in the wash, I realized My key was in there.... took it out, and ofcourse it doesn't work for keyless entry. Do I need a new battery, or a new key?[:@]Yes, I am stupid........

euro_2nr 04-25-2008 08:30 AM

RE: Key in wash?

More than likely the chip thingy got f/d up. Like a cell phone, water will fry the masterboard and impair al the little messaging units. I would still try to put batteries in if I were you and cross your fingers but I'm sure a battery will withstand water damage rather than the key. Oh well, sh!t happens dude. Luckily for me my mom still does my laundary:D ....for money [:@]

theTTkid 04-25-2008 12:28 PM

your probably going to need a new key, however, i suggest trying a battery first and if that doesnt work just save the battery and put it in your new key

marko_tomas13 04-25-2008 01:24 PM

You may end up needing a new key but it could have turned out you were very lucky. Take it apart as much as you can, and let it dry out thoroughly without the battery for a few days. Then put it all back together with a new battery and see if it works.

I managed to put an iPod nano through the wash last year and after a few days of drying it survived, only problem was a few streaks from what i assume was detergent on the screen. You never know.

n7plus1 04-25-2008 02:10 PM

youll be fine....water can only really damage it if you try to use it while its wet...take it apart and sit it on a window sill for a couple of days and get a new battery for it awhile...you may just have to re-program it anyway....

Promaine 04-25-2008 04:37 PM

Yeah you certainly need to let electronics dry out if you get them wet. I had a phone that had been through the laundry dropped in a toilet, and in paint thinner. I just opened it up and let it dry... well the paint thiner I took it apart and cleaned it... Point is I didn't use the device and let it dry and it was fine.

qUaTtRoA4 04-25-2008 05:47 PM

take it apart and dry everything out....you'll be fine.....

I may have a fob for your car, I bought a LOT of them on eBay and i ended up with a couple B7 keys....

post your code, if they match you can have it for 10$

gl!

chaos92287 04-25-2008 05:56 PM

lol i just did the same thing a few days ago, but my car is completely dead so i dont even know if its gona work yet. i took it completely apart, sprayed it with compressed air, and then let it dry out. hopefully it'll work

01A4T 04-25-2008 07:17 PM

well, I let it sit outside for most of the day today, and put in a new battery, and it works perfectly. lucky lucky lucky:D

SuprA4 04-26-2008 08:23 PM

your so lucky yeah my one key went through washer and dryer (unexpected laundry day) then i found the other key i had for the car and a week later my friends little brother lost it so its been a month now and i still have to put the key in the flippin hole to unlock and lock it....not very classy