Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Zombie Defense Force
Default lithium ion battery

i just got a new lap top that has lithium ion batteries. do i let them die all the way down before i recharge them, or can i recharge them when ever. i forget what to do with them to make sure they last longer. i know some batteries and get a "memory" if you don't let them die completely before recharge, is that the case with lithium ion batteries?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Senior Administrator

Li-ion's aren't like NiCads. They have no "charge memory," per se. No need to cycle them down to zero and back up. One thing you should keep in mind, however, is that Li-ion batteries will have their longest life (3-5 years v. 2-3, otherwise) if kept between 80% and 20% charge. But, since no one keeps laptops for 3-5 years (technology ages in dog-years, after all, so it'd be like hanging onto a 21-35 y/o piece of whatever), it isn't that much of an issue. Now, if you ever by a plug-in hybrid, its good to know that the electronics are designed to cycle the battries between those two states, for longevity.

Go forth and laptop safe in the knowledge that, by the time it matters, you'll be looking for a new one, anyway.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:18 AM
5th Gear

my battery died after a year, right after warranty. it was half dead actually but now it's completely dead. don't ever leave the laptop in extreme temperatures. my laptop has some pretty good specs for its age and i'm now upgrading to windows 7. almost had it installed until this ******* decided that i wouldn't mind if he borrowed my cable when i wasn't there

Old 09-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Administrator

Yu Hazabeeg (what? It's his name, check his profile) has a point. Li-Ion is VERY susceptible to failure at high temperatures. DON'T EVER leave it on the rear package shelf of your car, or it will be stolen LONG BEFORE it can fail, but, it will fail, so, you'll have that knowledge that the thief will eventually be upset by such failure...

Minimize airflow obstructions, as well. Using your laptop ON your LAP, for instance, can do that.

Thanks for teh reminder Yu!