Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

MrFlippant's First EVER Autocross Event! (56k, fuggedaboudit!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 AM
4th Gear
Default MrFlippant's First EVER Autocross Event! (56k, fuggedaboudit!)

Thanks to MBronson over on the DMVR forums for the photos!

This was at the Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Autocross event in downtown Des Moines on Sunday, May 18.

Made six runs, my best raw time for the day was 45.284 seconds, so my PAX time (which hasn't been explained to me directly yet, but I gather it's a way of adjusting the times based on vehicle class so that they can all be compared to each other) was 36.363 seconds, which put me in 52nd place out of 62 entries, and 5.963 seconds behind the best time of the day.

In any case, it was the most fun I have EVER had in my car!! As usual, sorry the pics are a little big, I'm just too lazy to bother resizing.

Me on the starting line:

And I'm off!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: MrFlippant's First EVER Autocross Event! (56k, fuggedaboudit!)

I wasnt going to say it... but it looks like your car has an STD...

that looks really fun though! look at how much the body rolls on those turns! your wheels almost lift at times! Who said you can't have fun in a 2.8

Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 AM
4th Gear

Yeah I forgot to mention, my car has completely stock suspension, stock wheels, and three different kinds of all-season tyres. So yeah, body roll and tyre squeal out the ying-yang!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:09 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

My stock A4 won me fourth place in Novice (out of 12) first time I autocrossed. Nice to see someone having fun in their car instead of just coming on here and being an Amze-hole. If you're going to be autocrossing often, lose your front sway bar. The added body roll is totally worth the extra grip and reduced understeering. Plus, don't remove your spare tire and such from your trunk. The weight helps you more in the back, and as long as they are bolted down, you can run with them.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 AM
6th Gear

so how did the 12v do?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
4th Gear

Well, I was 3rd out of 12 in Novice index, so I'd say that's none too shabby for the ol' 12v!My biggest complaint would definitely be the gearing - as you may know, 1st gear in our cars (or in the 2.8's, anyway) is REALLY short; I usually shift around 3000RPM for street driving because that's where torque peaks, and it takes no time at all to rev up to 3k in 1st gear. So even on the track when I was running it up all the way to the limiter, it was still a really short gear, and that made for some difficultyin balancing betweenkeeping power to the groundand shifting.

I plan on installing aftermarket coilovers and rear sway bar soon, so I'll probably leave the front one in, but thanks for the advice! I was hoping to run with my spare tyre in place for exactly the reason you said, CLX - but unfortunately the previous owner lost the bolt-down for it, so it had to come out.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM

That looks awesome! I need to try that out one of these days. [sm=gears.gif]

looks like you need to unbolt the underbelly cover harness

Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Keep in mind as soon as you throw on coil-overs and a rear sway bar, you're not going to be in stock class anymore. If you want to stay in stock class (where you might have a chance of doing well with your 12v engine and wonky transmission) pm me and I can give you a pretty good setup!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:00 PM
4th Gear

That's a good point. What else have you done besides the sway bar delete?

Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Removed all the engine covers (dead weight ftl,) stainless exhaust 2.5" from the cat back, I use a reverse gear lockout when I run, brake pads, dot 5 fluid, and I'm thinking of running some spacers to widen my track a little bit. That's about all you can do in stock class, which my A4 will stay in. My Miata is going to be in Street Mod 2 because it's too light to run in Street Mod.

Quick Reply: MrFlippant's First EVER Autocross Event! (56k, fuggedaboudit!)