Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
$400
63.64%
$600
18.18%
$800
9.09%
$1000
0%
$1500
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Need all your help Please! AF RULES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
3rd Gear
Default Need all your help Please! AF RULES!

My brother and I are starting a side business.
We will be designing and making DVD movies for customers that showcase their car! Now this being the best car site ever, i would like some feedback please.

What we will be doing.

Filming car, editing, testing with dyno, 1/4 mile times, 0-60 times and stuff like that on your personal car. Edit, make a cool movie out of it on DVD. Filmed with a Hi-Def 1080i video camera.
On the DVD will have,
Video/ movie
Outtakes/behind the scenes
Dyno runs
Lots of Hi Def pictures at various places
Owner interview

How much would you expect to pay for a Hi- Def DVD that you can have and show all your freinds, and have a DVD history of your car?

All help is really appreciated. And be honest as well.

You all rock!

THANKS AF!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Need all your help Please! AF RULES!

I'm thinking $400... I dont know, its a super cool idea but dropping the money, idk

Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Is this like, The Price Is Right? Where you have to guess the right price without going over? If I had a show-worthy car with a ginormous amounts of HP/TQ, I would totally be down for the $400-600 range.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Administrator

how long till you guys are gonna do this?? how long will it take to produce??

I'm def interested but my main show is coming up on the 29th..

don't know if I would want hi-def though, would be to hard to bring a HDDVD player to a show.. and my headunit would be ideal to play this on

give me some more info, I might be interested in this if you guys ever make it out this way

Old 07-17-2007, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, looking to be round next spring to be fully up and running. That is what we are aiming for. Gotta get the tax id and all that crap and all the equipment, plus the camera is like 3700 bucks so thats gonna hurt the bank for a while. We should get everything by end of year and have some demos out by spring. It would only take one day of filming and within a week, you would have your DVD. And if all goes well, we will be out that way.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 AM
3rd Gear

$400 seems like a fair enough price. I'll be looking out for the demo tape.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
4th Gear

SPAM! lol

So this would be like some of the youtube vids but done professionally for the owner of the car?

Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 AM
3rd Gear

I would say 400-600 is a fair price. It's a lot of filming and even more backend **** that needs to be done! Do it man, I want to see some of the demo's it sounds like an excellent idea[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-18-2007, 09:38 AM
4th Gear

How long are these dvd going to be? And how much time are you going to spend with each customer? I think this would be a great idea for people that take their cars to the tracks.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: myaudi98

My brother and I are starting a side business.
We will be designing and making DVD movies for customers that showcase their car! Now this being the best car site ever, i would like some feedback please.

What we will be doing.

Filming car, editing, testing with dyno, 1/4 mile times, 0-60 times and stuff like that on your personal car. Edit, make a cool movie out of it on DVD. Filmed with a Hi-Def 1080i video camera.
On the DVD will have,
Video/ movie
Outtakes/behind the scenes
Dyno runs
Lots of Hi Def pictures at various places
Owner interview

How much would you expect to pay for a Hi- Def DVD that you can have and show all your freinds, and have a DVD history of your car?

All help is really appreciated. And be honest as well.

You all rock!

THANKS AF!

You want my honest opinion? Here it is and please understand I'm not pissing on your picnic... I'm making you THINK.

Business wise it's a very tough sell. This is a total luxury product in the sense that no one REALLY needs it. Now, since no one has ever really done this before you are venturing into an unknown field where you have to create the interest from scratch. It's not like buying a Mcdonald's franchise where people A) have to eat and B) know the Mcdonald's name. This unknown territory carries with it TONS of risk but EXTREME wealth if you can sell the idea to the layman... And that's really what you want or better said, that's really what I'd want!

Right now this idea would sell with show cars and their owners. How many show car owners are in your area? How far would you have to travel for the show car owners that are not in your area and would these show car owners be willing to pay for your travel expenses to hire you?

Other things to consider:
[ul][*]How much does it cost for you do do all of this? Dyno runs aren't exactly cheap.[*]What is your overall direction? Where do you see the company in 5 years?[*]Do you have anyone interested in doing it right NOW???? Ifso, will they pay you?[*]Although 400-600 is a fair price for YOU, is it a fair price for THEM???[/ul]
Here is what I'd recommend. Scrub the dyno tuner thing because it's your most expensive cost and drives the price of your product to an unreachable level. You want to keep your product around the 200 dollar range and offer the Dyno as an option. Do the entire service (- the dyno) for free and see what people think of it. Ask them if they'd pay 200-250 for the service. I personally would not pay more than 200 dollars for something like this but I'm a cheap bastard. Expect most of your potential clients to be equally as cheap.
Also, see how you felt doing it, how they felt doing it.Were they happy the whole time? Did they hava a smile on their face? Did they find it fun? Were the bloopers and outtakes really fun to reflect on and watch???

I work for a climbing company that caters to schools ( www.ioedge.com ) and what gets us repeat business ishow much fun the kids have and how much of it the teachers see. When they say "Oh my god the kids are loving it! It's all the talk about!!!" then I know we'll get repeat business and I know we'll be mentioned at meetings and teacher functions. This means MORE business. GREAT!!! YIPPEE!!!!

This it the response you want from your clients, so my next question to you is, can you do that? Will your clients be so impressed that they will refer you to their peers and colleagues? This is what you have to design your product to do. Not just say, "Ok we're gonna take some groovy pics, and video your car driving around" The average person won't go for it and although teenagers and people in their early twenties WILL, they are not the ones who have the cash to do this (they are still paying for school) but if you can package it into a cheap, fun and impressive product then you have something to build on.

My consultations fee is 50 dollars, I'll expect it in the mail Seriously though, really give it some thought and BEST OF LUCK!!!!!

Quick Reply: Need all your help Please! AF RULES!