Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need some help resolving a "discussion" my gf and i are having.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 05:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default Need some help resolving a "discussion" my gf and i are having.

Ok. Winter driving.

You start skidding. your back tires lose control and start to move to the left, (i.e. the car is looking right)
do you 1) (gf advice) turn the wheel right so that the wheels are facing the direction your car is facing or
2) (my advice) turn the wheel to the left in the direction you "were" travelling.

No brakes no acceleration just turning the wheel. Give me some help guys the gf thinks she is right. i know she is wrong.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:51 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Need some help resolving a "discussion" my gf and i are having.

If you want to go straight again, you would turn the wheel to the left in that situation.

At least, that is the recommended advice. I have been in situations where I knew the car was going around no matter what, so I turned the wheels the "wrong" way and floored the accel to increase the rotational speed and get back facing the right direction sooner, but that was only because I knew what I was doing and it was ok for the car to do a full 360*.

But 99 times out of 100, turning the wheel towards the direction of travel (left in the above example) will be the best choice, rather than turning the wheel in the direction the car is facing.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

steer towards your back end

Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 AM
2nd Gear

However, if your girlfriend has cute, single and morally flexible female friends, then I retract my previous statement.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 AM
dan
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

However, if your girlfriend has cute, single and morally flexible female friends, then I retract my previous statement.
hahahaha, yeah, I'll back her up if thats the case too

Old 07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
5th Gear

Your girlfriend has the "steer in the direction of the skid" screwed up... Basically, you steer where you want to go... just as if you weren't out of control. Obviously it's a bit more frantic... but really, all you need to do is steer in the direction you want the car to go/recover... it's simple. Just have to learn not to over correct and avoid back and forth too many times...

Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM

you never rallied a car then

Old 07-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Senior Administrator

A good rule of thumb is to keep your eyes pointed where you want to go and you will almost ALWAYS steer in such a manner as to put yourself IN that direction, as long as you don't over think the whole "steer-into-the-skid" thingy.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 PM

so back end skids out to the left because you were going too fast for the right hand bend 4x4?? you throttle out of it but 2wd you cant so you have to off steer (rally related only)

Old 07-04-2006, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

dan Date 7/4/2006 12:00:44 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

hahahaha, yeah, I'll back her up if thats the case too
to answer both questions yes and yes. rofl. the biggest problem is that i have 5 yrs of experience driving in the snow up to the pass to go skiing. i know how to control a vehicle. ugh oh well. sometimes it is better to agree to disagree then to fight all night

Quick Reply: Need some help resolving a "discussion" my gf and i are having.