AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Obamas national address to students (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/obamas-national-address-students-138061/)

cassidyjr 09-03-2009 12:19 AM

Obamas national address to students

I dont think this is a repost, but I just found out about this today. Apparently most people dont yet know about this and a lot of school supposedly just found out that they are to teach the curriculum for this on tuesday when Obama does a national address to students about inspiration, hard work, and persistance.

http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

What does everyone else think about this? I think the whole thing is kind of ridiculous, telling students they need to write about why he inspires them, telling students they need to read about his accomplishments and posting "notable quotes" excerpted from his speeches... but hey, what do I know?

airguard350 09-03-2009 08:42 AM

Dumb. That's what I think about it. Dumb.

Dan1969 09-03-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by airguard350 (Post 1122645)
Dumb. That's what I think about it. Dumb.

I'm with you bro...

pa4ul 09-03-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1969 (Post 1122658)
I'm with you bro...

Concur ^

Lut3s 09-03-2009 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cassidyjr (Post 1122550)
I dont think this is a repost, but I just found out about this today. Apparently most people dont yet know about this and a lot of school supposedly just found out that they are to teach the curriculum for this on tuesday when Obama does a national address to students about inspiration, hard work, and persistance.

http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

What does everyone else think about this? I think the whole thing is kind of ridiculous, telling students they need to write about why he inspires them, telling students they need to read about his accomplishments and posting "notable quotes" excerpted from his speeches... but hey, what do I know?

You do realize that all of this is optional right? The students don't have to participate if they don't want to? Let me ask you, did you actually read the pdf's or did you automatically think the world is ending?

airguard350 09-03-2009 03:23 PM

Dumb!

Lut3s 09-03-2009 03:44 PM

Yeah, dumb that our presidents is trying to take "No-child-left-behind" to the next level.

Really, really, dumb.

Palindari™ 09-03-2009 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by cassidyjr (Post 1122550)

Obviously, you know nothing of what you speak, mate.

What nonsense spin is this? Your statement claims that they need to "write about why he inspires them, telling students they need to read about his accomplishments and posting "notable quotes" excerpted from his speeches..."

Did you even read that website you posted? Or did you just swallow whatever was said to you about it?

Here, let's set the record straight - it reads:
To further encourage student engagement, the U.S. Department of Education is launching the "I Am What I Learn" video contest. On September 8, we will invite students to respond to the president’s challenge by creating videos, up to two minutes in length, describing the steps they will take to improve their education and the role education will play in fulfilling their dreams.
We invite all students age 13 and older to create and upload their videos to YouTube by October 8. Submissions can be in the form of video blogs, public service announcements (PSAs), music videos, or documentaries. Students are encouraged to have fun and be creative with this project! The general public will then vote on their favorites to determine the top 20 finalists. These 20 videos will be reviewed by a panel of judges including U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. The panel will choose three winners, each of whom will receive a $1,000 cash prize.

It mentions nothing about your statement about obvious messiah worship crap.

Like Lutz points out - this is no different from Bush's program - just a more hand's on approach in directly addressing children.

Will this help? Who knows. But spreading such "Beckian" nonsense doesn't help anyone.

Back during the first Gulf War - then recently retired Gen Colin Powell put together a 45 min video that I as an Army recruiter went around and played it to many a high school classroom. Got some decent reviews, but this is no different - just technology affords this President the option to go to a wider audience than most.

Dan1969 09-03-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lut3s (Post 1122797)
Yeah, dumb that our presidents is trying to take "No-child-left-behind" to the next level.

Really, really, dumb.

That's not the dumb part, well part of it, because you'll be paying for it. The guy trying to give everyone free health care, and the government employees will now have to pay for theirs, is quite complicated but is quite dumb and stupid.

airguard350 09-03-2009 08:10 PM

Pali loves Obama!! Pali loves Obama!! Obama and Pali sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G first comes love, then comes, marriage, then comes Pali with a baby carriage!! :D

Christ you have a huge man-crush on Obama Pali. Knock it the fuck off.