Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orbital Buffer

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Default Orbital Buffer

I am thinking of getting an orbital buffer tomorrow when i go to wax my car. I am tried of it taking me so dman long to do it right. Anyone have one? Worth the money? Anything i should know about using one? I will be gettingf the one at pep boys (i think its a normal 9 inch buffer (might be 12).

Old 06-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Orbital Buffer

OK, seriously, when I saw the title I though it was going to be some sort of euphemism. I guess not, huh? Oh well. Sorry apg, no help here. I use my manual "orbital-buffer" <insert your own joke, here> to wax my babe-magnet with...

Old 06-19-2005, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

alot of people spend the money for a porter cable one i think around $100. i have owned cheep ones and they always brake when using them. i have not spent the money to buy one yet... i still use awdaholic methoid.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Senior Administrator

/\/\/\I hope you lock the door, first...

Old 06-19-2005, 06:11 PM

so should i try and get one?

Old 06-20-2005, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear

For operating lessons, watch Steve Martin in 'The Jerk'

Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
JJC

Newie to the Audi forum, picking up my allroad this Wed, had to turn in a Jetta GLI (VR6+6 Speed, mmmm) going to miss her. Anyway I have the Porter Cable buffer and it's great. The way it moves makes it very, very difficult to burn your paint. Be careful of the larger buffers, most care detailing pros do not recommend them ( I think because of the difference in how quickly the pad moves in the center vs. the ends. You will also need a bunch of accessories for the buffer -- such as the foam pads that come in different with "cutting" power and micorfiber polishing cloths.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forums...

I think i might go get an Porter Cable.. hmm sounds like a good idea

Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 AM
5th Gear

I work at a detail shop and we wont touch an orbital... there is really no bloody point to using one. Polymers go on and off by hand... if you use a buffer, you wont be able to get the whole car anyways... little area's will be missed, so you'll end up going by hand for some parts anyways. If you use the orbital to apply the product, you'll make a huge mess, and will have wax in every nook and cranny on your car.

The only thing we DO use, is a high speed machine, picture a grinder, with a foam pad on it... it spins much much faster than an orbital, and DOESNT move in the "wobbly" 'orbit' that an oribital does... it just SPINS. Obviously, this thing yields amazing results, because it actually "cuts" a thin layer of clearcoat off, leaving fresh, unscratched clearcoat. Not for an amateur though, obviously... when removing clear, you can obviously burn too much off, if your not experienced.

My advice, buy some good applicator pads, and a few good towels -- be sure to wash the towels after each time you take the product off. I can do my whole car in about an hour, after i've washed and dried it... it wouldnt be any quicker if I used my orbital. -- Oh, I do have an orbital by the way -- bought it before I worked at the detail shop, and have only used it once. You can buy it if you want :P

Old 06-20-2005, 01:40 AM

i just got a 6in little one for liek 25 bucks. I will see if it helps or not.

Quick Reply: Orbital Buffer