Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pace Ticket???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Default Pace Ticket???

Alrighty... I was on the gsp (garden state parkway) goin maybe 80 in a 65. Was around 6:30 (auto-lights just clicked on). Had the V1 going and all systems were a go. Was going to meet some friends in AC and wasn;t in any particular rush.... just cruisin along. Came upon a black.... something. Big car... maybe a cop?? Back windows were blacked out so of course I slowly crept up to it and passed it. They were traveling around 70-75. Got around 200-300 ft beyond it and it must've picked up a little cause it kept up to me when I hit 80. Slowly came up to me and kept up with me up to 80 at a safe distance. Bla bla bla... I see the cherries and pull over. LADY cop gets out and Of course I run every cus through my head knowing female cops are hard@sses.

Im 21 and she couldnt have been older than 27. I was very polite and respectful, but between u and me... I woulda hit on her in a second had I met her in different circumstances. "You were doing 82 in a 65, where are you headed?"... "Atlantic city, meeting a friend for his bday"..."wait here". She goes to the car, 10 minutes later, "I gave you a ticket for 79 in a 65" (14 over is in a lower speeding category for all you who dont know 2 pts). "Thank you officer have a nice night"

My V1 was silent the whole time. She must've paced me unless there is some new radar type that the V1 doesn't pick up . I told my friend who has been in these situations more than me and he said that I should just go to court and ask for the speed guns calibration slip. And when they cant provide it (V1 assures me of this) Im off.

Any input is helpful and much appreciated.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP
Default RE: Pace Ticket???

i can't believe she didn't say how she clocked you.
maybe this is fate....maybe she's hoping you'llto go to court so she can meetyou again....this has all the makings of a good penthouse story.....older, dominant woman....take the ticket and have fun!!

but in all seriousness, i'dtry to fight it in court. sure it will taketime and even if she did get youby pacing, maybe you can get it reduced more by the judge.

first throw yourself at the mercy of the judge.
then.....(in the parking lot) throw yourself at the mercy of the police officer.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

Fez, I know the GSP, if you are not doing at least 70+ ya get passed by everybody. check the ticket, it must be noted how speed was determined. pacing is a legit way of doing it. maybe no radar set up in the car. i have seen it done lots of times where there are local & experss lanes of the same highway. cop in local side, speeder in experss side cop was pacing and then came across to the express side and got the other car. you should def plead not guilty and go to court. maybe she will not show up. cops go to court on their own time, schedule a date, then re schedule it.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

She most likely paced you. This is not denoted on the ticket, the method of obtaining the speed, nor should it have to be. The only thing the ticket contains is the violation. Only the officer's copy will contain notes for court. Pacing is legitimate and our cars are calibrated to do so. You could demand to see a calibration of the car's speedometer and try to fight this, but I warn you. If that officer is at all competent not only will she have that sheet with her, but she will remark on your actual speed at which point the judge could choose to raise the fine. You will find that once you plead not guilty you better be damn sure you can prove without a doubt you are not guilty, else just plead guilty with an explanation.

Your best bet is her not showing up, however if she is traffic and it seems like she might be, slim chance.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM
4th Gear

Hmm Where on the GSP were you and what day?
I may have passed you...

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
4th Gear

Cops for the loss.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
4th Gear

Let me restate that: Female cops for the loss.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM

haha. female cops are terrible.
My main question was if pacing me is legit for issuing me a speeding ticket.
ouTTie: Was around mile marker 82. Eaglewood or some town like that.
Does anyone from NJ know the plea for unsafe driving instead of speeding. like 4:29 or something... I'd really like to not get points (durr). That sucks that pacing would hold up in court. Goes to prove that a V1 will not save my **** in any situation, got that flase sense of security.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 PM
5th Gear

yup pacing is totally legitimate. cops have documentation to prove their speedometers are 100% accurate. just get a traffic lawyer. down here they're under 100 bucks, which is usually less than the ticket. and if you dont have a ticket in the past 6 months some offer a money-back guarantee if you get charged. but even if you cant get out of the ticket, they usually get the points taken off, and your just stuck with the fine

Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
4th Gear

I got an improper lane change ticket instead of a speeding ticket once while driving in Jersey.
Trooper was very interested in my car, I think it may have helped!
Not sure if you were thinking something along those lines...
Haven't heard of Eagelwood, must be somewhere in-between the gsp and ac.
I travel the turnpike to the gsp to 87 to palisades crossing bear mountain, just about every other weekend.

Quick Reply: Pace Ticket???