Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Q re:jersey tags/registration

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Q re:jersey tags/registration

just moved to georgia and i have this guy here w/a volvo from jersey. the tags have stickers expiring in '02. the car sat for a few days after i moved in, so i asked the complex if it was abandoned. they had it towed. 3 days later it reappeared and the guy made a stink to the complex, then told them he's taken care of it and the problem will be resolved w/in a week.
in fl, a tag is destroyed after 5 years, so i'm thinking this guys waaaayyyy illegal. but then i realized he does have a front window sticker, like i had for my registration when i lived in NY. also, the other jersey car here took off his stickers on his tag. what's the deal? i don't want to be a jerk, but i also don't want to shell out my deductible cause this guy is fast loose w/his car that i expect has no insurance/registration/etc. are they registered, are they not? help.
thanks
bil

Old 10-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Q re:jersey tags/registration

NJ doesn't have registration tags on the plates anymore. They stopped a little over a year ago. The only way to tell is their registration card.

edit- The front window sticker is only a car inspection. The complex can legally ask him for registration. In most states you'r erequired to change over your registration within 30 days of mooving to that state unless you're military or are a non-resident student.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info. he is an out of state student per parking permit for the local college. new q-nj got rid of tag srickers about a year ago. his were from '02, so i'm guessing he was still way illegal? glad our school has a mandatory class on integrity before graduation.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Site Moderator

He was definately illegal at one point.