Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why was Dr. Gates arrested?
Racism
7.14%
Disorderly Conduct
71.43%
both factors were important
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Racism or Disorderly Conduct?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Default Racism or Disorderly Conduct?

This has been a pretty big story in the news this week. A prominent black professor at Harvard University, Henry Louis Gates Jr., was arrested at his home after police responded to a call by a neighbor who reported seeing two men trying to force their way into the home. When police arrived, Gates was uncooperative and eventually arrested. Gates later explained to reporters that his front door was not working and that he and his driver were trying to force it open, hence the confusion.

Here is one link to the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/gates.arrest.reaction/

I just realized that it contains a picture of two white cops and a black cop.

There are many other reports of the incident if one cares to look for them.

The charges were eventually dropped.

As with many high-profile accusations of racism, the alleged victim would like the incident to lead to a honest conversation about race in this country. Perhaps we can follow through with this request.

I will not comment any further at this point to avoid biasing anyones opinion. But my question is whether or not you think that this arrest was a product of racism or disorderly conduct?

Last edited by AutoUnionFan; 07-22-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
4th Gear

well not gonna lie both were factors, yeah they saw a black guy and assumed he was the suspect but, he shouldnt have been uncooperative.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 AM
4th Gear

Well, a neighbor called and you'd think he/she would know at least what their neighbor looked like, so there's that. Second, he was uncooperative.. prolly stating some BS about how he didnt have to prove he lived there... Same old BS.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

Yep...

The officer asked Gates to "step out onto the porch and speak with me," the report says. "[Gates] replied, 'No, I will not.' He then demanded to know who I was. I told him that I was 'Sgt. Crowley from the Cambridge Police' and that I was 'investigating a report of a break in progress' at the residence.

"While I was making this statement, Gates opened the front door and exclaimed, 'Why, because I'm a black man in America?' "
Thats called being 'uncooperative'....

Listen, I had the same thing happen to me when I kicked my door (it sticks) right when a Sheriff drove by. 3 mins later I had two at my door and two more out back making sure I didn't run. I didnt have a drivers licence with my new address yet, got handcuffed and taken downtown. I am white, so explain that.

If you dont do as your asked - to at least some extent - or have some form of proof, you can and do get in trouble. Period.

Second, if there really was a break in, this man could have been in trouble and the officer would want him to come out and get out of harms way and keep the whole thing becoming a hostage situation. Remember, they had a report of two men, and now they only see one. Best thing to do is cooperate and quite trying to make every single little BS thing about race.

"When I'm opening the door of my own house, someone will ask me where the man of the house is, implying that I'm staff," said Kodjoe,
This also pisses my off.. Like I dont get asked that all the ******* time.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM

This question was posed to Mr. Obama during his prime time press conference last night. As the most powerful black man (most powerful man) in the world, it was a great opportunity for him to initiate the honest discussion that Gates seems so eager to see. This is how Obama described the situation,

"The police are doing what they should. There’s a call. They go investigate what happens.

My understanding is, at that point, Professor Gates is already in his house. The police officer comes in. I’m sure there’s some exchange of words. But my understanding is, is that Professor Gates then shows his ID to show that this is his house and, at that point, he gets arrested for disorderly conduct, charges which are later dropped"

he continued,

"Now, I don’t know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that. But I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home."

Obama also said that he is biased because he is friends with Dr. Gates, and that he does not know all of the facts of the case. The police officer who made the arrest stands by his actions.

To me, Obama's response was extremely disappointing and intellectually dishonest. It really upsets me to hear the most infuential black man on the planet on such a large stage speak so ignorantly about this incident. I would even say that Obama's comments are part of the problem with race relations and racial discussions in this country.

factaul analysis of Obama's comments can be found here:

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/...tupidly_072209

A full transcript of the press conference can be found here:

http://ironicsurrealism.blogivists.c...-july-23-2009/

the question about Dr. Gates was the last one asked (its at the bottom of the link).

Here's a link that describes the police officers, Sgt. Crowley's, point of view. He is unable to comment about the incident due to the complaint filed by Dr. Gates.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...logize/?page=1

Last edited by AutoUnionFan; 07-23-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Site Moderator

How can you expect a complete answer from Obama only 48 hours after the event, an event he did not witness? Why is is people expect Obama to change the world with the flick of a switch and be the golden child of America. He's just a man. Did you expect him to go all MLK on the cops, or drop the hammer on Gates his friend?

There are usually reasons police make requests during "events" or stops. It may not always be obvious to the person it is being requested of. But mouthing does not get you the officer's respect or their compliance.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM

Here's a link to the police report:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...092gates1.html

Originally Posted by brrman
How can you expect a complete answer from Obama only 48 hours after the event, an event he did not witness? Why is is people expect Obama to change the world with the flick of a switch and be the golden child of America. He's just a man. Did you expect him to go all MLK on the cops, or drop the hammer on Gates his friend?
What I expect is for the President to be honest.

I made this thread before last nights press conference, so all of the information that I put in the first post was available to the President. And as the President, you think he might be able to get the facts 2 days after the incident. But clearly that was too much to ask.

edit: he was arrested last Thursday 7/16/2009, 6 days before Obama's comments

If he was not prepared to comment on the incident then he should not have made a statement. He certaintly should not have said that the cops acted "stupidly" while Dr. Gates actions were "understandable." That is a poor characterization and leads to a poor and dishonest conversation. Therefore Obama's comments were irresponsible and counterproductive.

But this is just my view. And I am interested to hear how others feel about it.

Last edited by AutoUnionFan; 07-23-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: correct the timeline
Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

The only way to solve this problem in the United States is for white police officers to secure the area and call in black police officers as back-up a.k.a. "Black-up" (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) Lets look at the factors that didn't make the news. Mr. Gates lives in a neighborhood that most white people couldn't afford to live in. 'Poor beat down black man.' Next a passerby was paying attention and looking out for others and called the police to make sure that the people in HIS neighborhood were taken care of. 'Poor beat down black man.' Thirdly, the police arrive post haste to take care of the citizens in HIS neighborhood. 'Poor beat down black man.' Lastly, because the news media refuses to ever educate the public on what police procedure is, people think the police are acting improperly. Once you cross the line with the police its too late. If they are any good at their jobs they "must" arrest you. It is procedure. Procedures are good things. If the media, who hates police by the way, ever spent one minute on explaining police procedure, even stupid, I'm sorry "ignorant" people, would know that it is important for a well governed society to comply with police requests. I read up on Mr. Gates history on Wikipedia. He has immersed himself in the history of black struggles to the point where he believes he's part of it. It is his lack of honest 'self-auditing' and downright arrogance of his position that got him a free pair of shiny matching bracelets.

Which brings me to your next point. You want a president who was the recipient of the biggest act of racism in history to even be able to speak intelligently about racism? Good luck with that! As Mr. Gates has been given many awards and accolades about the black history he wrote and spoke about, he SHOULD have the ability to see that most white people are not racist! I keep reading black history. I keep hearing black speakers talk about black history. What I consistently DON'T hear, is about all the white people who helped them get to where they are today! Give them another 5 or 10 years and they will have convinced everybody that they freed themselves from slavery. Add a few years to that and they will convince us that Lincoln was black. I have grown tired of sympathizing with blacks struggles through history and doing everything I can, including teaching my own children how to love and respect everyone around them only to have them constantly accusing people like me of racism all the time. My (white) actions and my (white) support have not only gone unnoticed but have even been publically denied.

So, in summary, a black man, who was allowed to attend a prestigious university, allowed to teach at a prestigious university, given prestigious awards acknowledging his work, allowed to live in a high standard of living neighborhood that is the envy of most of the rest people in the United States, is allowed to speak publicly everywhere he chooses, has the gall to shout racism because a white police officer was checking to make sure HIS property was not being invaded? Considering his grandparents had none of this I consider him to be a complete FAILURE to his own teachings!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
Here's a link to the police report:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...092gates1.html

What I expect is for the President to be honest.

edit: he was arrested last Thursday 7/16/2009, 6 days before Obama's comments

If he was not prepared to comment on the incident then he should not have made a statement. He certaintly should not have said that the cops acted "stupidly" while Dr. Gates actions were "understandable." That is a poor characterization and leads to a poor and dishonest conversation. Therefore Obama's comments were irresponsible and counterproductive.

But this is just my view. And I am interested to hear how others feel about it.

Personally I think the president should not have commented at all. This is no federal issue. If it turns into something bigger then perhaps he can weigh in, but what he thinks cannot change any court proceedings and how this will be handled. I think he felt pressure to say something, but should have resisted that pressure. On that point I agree - he should have kept his mouth shut.

I have already read the police reports from Sgt Crowley, as well as from the supporting officer. I would like to see a written synopsis from Gates for comparison. But as it stands, Gates was unruly and was not arrested until he was outside on the curb, yelling at the officer. But that's from the police report... so take that for what it is.

In effect, my previous comment on Obama was not to agree with or defend him, but to suggest that what he says has no bearing on this matter. He's just a politician and it seems that many people take his word as gospel these days and expect him to lead some civil rights movement because he is a black president. He's got a lot going on, and I'm sure the report on that incident is not the first thing dropped on his desk in the morning.

it was ******* racism, just like 91% of white america
And man, that's just a sad attitude... Why 91%? You have a survey of white Americans being asked if they are racist??

Last edited by brrman; 07-23-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

I have not heard a single word about any of this.

must not be that important after all.

what i gather is that it looked like someone was breaking into a house, the cops checked it out, the guy was a dick, and got cuffed before he potentially hurt someone or himself.

Whats so newsworthy about that? lame.

Quick Reply: Racism or Disorderly Conduct?