Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why was Dr. Gates arrested?
Racism
7.14%
Disorderly Conduct
71.43%
both factors were important
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Racism or Disorderly Conduct?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by achTTung

what i gather is that it looked like someone was breaking into a house, the cops checked it out, the guy was a dick, and got cuffed before he potentially hurt someone or himself.
I couldnt agree more!

Unfortunately, the President strongly disagrees, as does the Harvard professor. The country in general will have a very hard time reaching the simple and obvious conclusion. And that is newsworthy to me!

Let me add that the arresting officer, Crowley, was hand picked by his superior (a black man) to teach a class dealing with the issue of racial profiling. He was chosen for his fine reputation as a cop and as a human.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM
5th Gear

yeah, i still dont get how the prez got involved. the news just sensationalizes everything.

take names out of a story, read it again, and see if its still interesting when you dont know its someone 'prestigious' or 'famous'. If its still interesting, its news, otherwise, its just tabloid crap.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
4th Gear

Whats so newsworthy about that? lame.
he cried racism....

**** pisses me off, a Racist crying racism... Oh well, thats the America we live in.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

cop was securing a possible perp. thats it. he was just insuring his ticket home to his family. simple as that. he was just doing his job. suit or not, the cop didnt know if he was the owner or possible intruder.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Listen, I had the same thing happen to me when I kicked my door (it sticks) right when a Sheriff drove by. 3 mins later I had two at my door and two more out back making sure I didn't run. I didnt have a drivers licence with my new address yet, got handcuffed and taken downtown. I am white, so explain that.
1. You're an idiot. Next time open your own front door, and show the cops all of your pictures on your walls or dresser with you in them. Use your head; it would have saved you the trip downtown.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Site Moderator

^^^Well i don't keep pictures of myself on any of my walls. My parent's house does though

This whole stupid story was blown out of proportion. This stupid crap happens daily, the only difference was the guy was "educated" and stupid reporters saw an oportunity to get paid and mentioned it to the president in his address to the people. **** pisses me off......

Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 AM
4th Gear

1. You're an idiot. Next time open your own front door, and show the cops all of your pictures on your walls or dresser with you in them. Use your head; it would have saved you the trip downtown.
Ok moron, I said I didn't have a licence with my correct address yet.. whats that mean? Um, I just moved in?

For another story, I took my door off to fix it (from sticking ) and had it laying on the floor. Well, I cut my hand and while I was in the bathroom cleaning up, the same Sheriff stopped in 'cause he thought the door was kicked in. He freaked when he saw the blood.. thanks God he knew me this time!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by brrman
But as it stands, Gates was unruly and was not arrested until he was outside on the curb, yelling at the officer. But that's from the police report... so take that for what it is.

In effect, my previous comment on Obama was not to agree with or defend him, but to suggest that what he says has no bearing on this matter.
There is consensus between Gates and the police on when the arrest occured.

The police were in the house when Gates showed his ID. The cops were satisfied and were prepared to conclude their investigation as they walked out onto the porch. Gates followed them out there and continued to insult them. He was arrested shortly afterwards.

I think it is bizarre that so many people have chimed in to say that what Obama's opinion doesnt matter. I completely disagree. He is the most powerful man in the world. Capable of shaping policies that give preference to one race due to percieved bias, such as this incident. He is also a successful black man and his opinion, I assume, represents the attitude of a lot of black people. If you dont think his opinion matters, then dont share your opinion because it is equally worthless.

Also, when the President says that the police acted stupidly in this case, it makes the job of the police much harder because he basically gives justification for minorities to be uncooperative with the police.

Gates and Obama are promoting dishonest race relations. As Sgt. Crowley said, Dr. Gates controlled the outcome of the situation. It wasnt the magical hand of racism.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
4th Gear

Also, when the President says that the police acted stupidly in this case, it makes the job of the police much harder because he basically gives justification for minorities to be uncooperative with the police.
Also, Dont forget that as President, he's the HMFIC of ALL law enforcement, so his opinion DOES affect policy.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Did anyone else watch the press conference in support of Crowley at noon today?

The police union and other police organizations pledged their full support for Crowley's actions. They said that the President and the Governor of MA admitted that they were ignorant of all the facts, but still commented negatively about the acions of the police, instead of making no comment. They specifically critisized Obama for drawing a comparison between this incident and the history of racial profiling in this country. They said that after all of the facts were reviewed, they hoped that Obama and the gov would apologize.

I was very impressed by the level headed and thoughtful comments made by the police at the conference.

Lets see what happens...

Quick Reply: Racism or Disorderly Conduct?