Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why was Dr. Gates arrested?
Racism
7.14%
Disorderly Conduct
71.43%
both factors were important
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Racism or Disorderly Conduct?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by brrman
Personally I think the president should not have commented at all. This is no federal issue. If it turns into something bigger then perhaps he can weigh in, but what he thinks cannot change any court proceedings and how this will be handled. I think he felt pressure to say something, but should have resisted that pressure. On that point I agree - he should have kept his mouth shut.

I have already read the police reports from Sgt Crowley, as well as from the supporting officer. I would like to see a written synopsis from Gates for comparison. But as it stands, Gates was unruly and was not arrested until he was outside on the curb, yelling at the officer. But that's from the police report... so take that for what it is.

In effect, my previous comment on Obama was not to agree with or defend him, but to suggest that what he says has no bearing on this matter. He's just a politician and it seems that many people take his word as gospel these days and expect him to lead some civil rights movement because he is a black president. He's got a lot going on, and I'm sure the report on that incident is not the first thing dropped on his desk in the morning.

And man, that's just a sad attitude... Why 91%? You have a survey of white Americans being asked if they are racist??
Dude! When did you come back!?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 PM

headshok - perhaps your liberal viewpoint could add some flavor to the discussion

Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

Obama should have just declined comment if he didn't know the facts. He was doing okay until he said the officer acted stupidly. I agree that he's fanning the flames of racism when potentially there wasn't even any there.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:14 AM
4th Gear

Heard today that Obama spoke to both men and decided that they were both wrong. In other words, ****! I screwed up and took the wrong side but I cant go against my friend in public.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Site Moderator

^^^Yup, he should have stopped talking when he said i don't have all the facts.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Obama stopped short of apologizing. He basically said that he regretted how his words were perceived.

So he thinks that it is everyone elses fault that his "police acted stupidly" comment was taken as an insult to the police. Obama is the master of manipulating perception, he is never worng, its only your perception.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Guru

Look, my dad is LE and what I have learned it that because of the adrenaline of situation like they thought they were about to enter, they are inclined to arrest first and ask questions later. There are multiple factors buzzing through and officer's head at times like this. They will just arrest him and clear him later that night. Big ******' deal. Everything is about race these days. Slavery ended 140 yrs ago and segregation ended like 45 yrs ago. Move the **** on.