Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCARY THING HAPPENED!!!! Gas Pedal Stuck at 100mph!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by auditech79
If you're going 100+ mph at WOT the brakes won't be strong enough to slow you down, the inertia of the car would be too great.

Edit: In addition it also depends on engine to braking power, the lexus in that scenario was around 300 horsepower.
Good point. My WOT tests were in a 175hp Oldsmobile Cutlass V8 (back in the day), my 205HP Opel Calibra (back in the Europe day), and a 150hp Toyota Camry (5-6 years ago), all from parking speeds up to about 30-50mph and slammed on the brakes. The Calibra, @ cruising speed (albeit 120+mph), was only a stuck-open throttle/pedal, not WOT.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
4th Gear

Yeah my S4 is making about 300 chp.... so I don't think that would work on my car. LOL

Josh

Old 11-22-2009, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

All of that DBW stuff scares the heck out of me...I hate to think that a computer chip is all that stands between me and certain death. Next thing you know, some terrorist group will figure out they can hack into satellite nav systems, access a vehicle's computer, disable the brakes and tell the throttle to go to 11. Chaos. Imagine thousands or hundreds of DBW cars going haywire at the same time.

If they haven't already thought of it, guess they have now, if they are reading this forum.

You're welcome.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM

I've tried the brakes and WOT trick in a few different vehicles and they all stop.

Back in the late 90's I had a '88 Turbobird (slightly modded 250 hp) and the floormat would slip forward every few months (usually on wet roads in 2nd or 3rd). It was always exciting but never more than inconvenient.

I believe the source of the '80s "unintended acceleration" problem Audi suffered turned out to be the pedal height was too similar and people were flooring the gas and thinking they were on the brakes.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:41 PM
4th Gear

Next thing you know, some terrorist group will figure out they can hack into satellite nav systems, access a vehicle's computer, disable the brakes and tell the throttle to go to 11. Chaos. Imagine thousands or hundreds of DBW cars going haywire at the same time.
Speaking of... the boy and I were just having a conversation about the new OnStar Kill feature and what would happen if a hacker got in a killed ALL the cars with OnStar....

Old 11-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by mnaudi
Next thing you know, some terrorist group will figure out they can hack into satellite nav systems...

If they haven't already thought of it, guess they have now, if they are reading this forum.

You're welcome.
Meh...

Richard Prior did something like that in Superman II, I think, when he hacked a weather satellite to control the weather...

Cuz, you know, that's what weather satellites are used for.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Ky allroad

I believe the source of the '80s "unintended acceleration" problem Audi suffered turned out to be the pedal height was too similar and people were flooring the gas and thinking they were on the brakes.
Close. It was the distance between the gas & brake pedals. Apparently, FAT American feet were TOO WIDE to not hit the gas instedda the brakes, and too NUMB to feel the difference. People were stomping on the gas, thinking it was the brakes, tho.

Mighta been a combination of the two, too!

Last edited by AWDaholic; 11-22-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Ky allroad
I've tried the brakes and WOT trick in a few different vehicles and they all stop.

Back in the late 90's I had a '88 Turbobird (slightly modded 250 hp) and the floormat would slip forward every few months (usually on wet roads in 2nd or 3rd). It was always exciting but never more than inconvenient.

Try it at 100 mph and tell me how it turns out

Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by auditech79
Try it at 100 mph and tell me how it turns out
I think we shud submit it to MythBusters, and let them figure it out (make 'em use Acura's tho, no sense wreckin Audi's).

Quick Reply: SCARY THING HAPPENED!!!! Gas Pedal Stuck at 100mph!