Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solved my slice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 AM
2nd Gear
Default Solved my slice

So I joined the golf team last year, and could hit my clubs pretty decent until we had a group lesson. Ever since then I had a horrible slice out to the right because he told me to move my woods and driver stance up. Then to top it off, I busted the shaft on my big head driver and figured it wasn't worth repairing and just bought a used Taylor Made off ebay. I couldn't hit the smaller head, and ended up getting under the ball almost no matter how I tee'd it up. So today at practice (I'm playing again this year) I was slicing real bad. We came up to a short par three hole and I pulled out my six iron. As I was lining up for a practice swing, I was thinking about my slice problem and decided to try closing the club head a little bit to compensate. I closed it up, and hit it straight onto the green for a two-putt and par. On the next hole, when I tee'd up I got out my three wood (my new driver since I couldn't hit a real one for crap) and did the same thing, closing the club face. I hit it straight out, but unfortunatly forgot that I have been compensating for the slice by aiming to the left. Straight out, onto another fairway, and almost hit one of my coaches.

Tonight, I went to the driving range to experiment a little more. I closed my club face like before, but this time with the driver. My slice was significantly less this time, but still apparent. Now I had to figure out was else could be causing me to slice so badly, and decided to try moving my stance up alittle bit and have the ball closer to the middle of my stance. After working with it for a while, I was cracking them right down the middle almost to the back fence of the range. For so long I had kept my stance in relation to the ball really far back so that the ball was almost in line with my front foot that I was hitting it with the tip of the head more than in the center. Now I was hitting the ball from near the center of my stance, and straight out, exactly opposite of what the instructor had taught us. I also moved the ball back a little bit for my short irons and was hitting them straight down range consistently.

This probably means something to other golfers, so sorry to everyone else. I had been working on this for a long time and was happy that I finally managed to work it out.

To top it off, I might be getting a second job at a golf course coralling carts and raking sand traps after school for probably around $8 and hour. I'm making $8.90 at my other job, so my subaru dreams might come sooner. Plus on top of playing 9 holes twice a week for free, I can play as much as I want every monday or when the course isn't very full if I get the golf course job.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Solved my slice

When I hit my driver, it is about two inches in front of my left foot (right handed). It felt weird at first, but I get about 50 yards more per drive.....about 270 consistently now.
Also, one thing that really helps people out in slicing is in your backswing, try to drag the club along the ground. It makes you swing more true. And also, try not to drop your right shoulder as much. It is not a good thing to correct a bad habit with a bad habit...i.e closing your clubface. Try to get it straightened out, or you will have probs soon. I have been playing since I was about 14, and every time I corrected something, by doing something wrong, it turned out bad in the long run. Just my opinion though. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2006, 01:48 AM

i've been playin' since i can remember.. and to fix my slice i (hard to explain in text) had to bring the clubhead on an inside to outside swing plane... this kind of swing with give you a draw (slight right to left ball movement) and will also give you a little more distance. watch the pros, most of them hit draws. and the ball isn't in the middle of their stance on drives. my best piece of golf advice is to buy any book written by harvey pennick, the greatest golf coach of all time.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: sneakerpro

i've been playin' since i can remember.. and to fix my slice i (hard to explain in text) had to bring the clubhead on an inside to outside swing plane... this kind of swing with give you a draw (slight right to left ball movement) and will also give you a little more distance. watch the pros, most of them hit draws. and the ball isn't in the middle of their stance on drives. my best piece of golf advice is to buy any book written by harvey pennick, the greatest golf coach of all time.

Agreed. I've been playing since I was little and played all four years of college and this is exactly how I fixed mine a long time ago and it never came back. I just bought a Ping G5 and if you are having any trouble with your slice or any other part of your game, buy it. You will not be dissapointed.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 AM
2nd Gear

I shot my best game today at practice now that my slice is almost non-existant. A couple of birdies, a couple pars, and a couple boogies.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

i just get mad drunk....could u get a DUI for driving a golf cart drunk?