Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springfield Armory XD9

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear
Default Springfield Armory XD9

So I have been doing alot of research about the purchase of my first handgun and I think I am going to go with this: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=111

My roommate has a glock and while it is definatly a solid gun I just like the way the SAXD feels in my hand better plus it is cheaper.

There is a Gun Show in VA (Dulles Expo in Chantilly) this weekend and I am definatly going to go and who knows maybe I will have a new gun by monday

Any thoughts or suggestions ? And I have already been throught the firearm thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Springfield Armory XD9

I almost purchased the XD 45 but went with the Ruger P345 because I liked the thinner frame it had. The XD was abit bulkier. SA makes excellent weapons. I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

I personally like larger caliber than 9mm (especially for home defense), but that's really all personal preference. If your state allows full capacity mags a nineusuallyholds more ammo!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Zombie Defense Force

im kicking the idea of .45 or .40

Old 02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
4th Gear

either will be great. beautiful gun, man. I have a .40 and a .45 and like them both immensely. you might get a few more rounds witht teh .40.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear

yeah seeing as this is going to be the first handgun that I own I thought I would start with a 9mm then if I start getting into it I would definatly move up to .45 probably a .45 revolver which i was told is ideal for personal defense b/c no chances of jamming and if it misfires you just keep pulling the trigger to the next bullet.

as for full capacity laws I dont know where VA stands

Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
4th Gear

split the difference and get a .40

Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

If you're new to firearms (handguns in particular) a 9mm is a good place to start to get a good feel for shooting.

As far as capacity goes... it varies from state to state. Here in CA we have some of the most restrictive laws and you are not allowed to have more than a 10 round mag, which most full frame 9mm's have a standard design based on a 15 round magazine. Not a big deal just a slight intrusion on my constitutional rights... ([8D]oops... I hope I didn't start an argument). Gun laws vary state to state so that'll just depend on VA law.

Its true a bigger slower slug has more initial stopping power, but that doesn't mean a 9mm is less lethal. A lot of people like revolvers for home defense because it is true... there is less parts to fail and less things to think about in a panic situation. However, a lot of it comes down to being familiar and comfortable with your weapon. I have a .357 S&W revolver and my .45 auto that I keep in a gun safe near the bed. I'd probably grab the .45 auto and leave the .357 with my wife who'd be the one providing backup until the cops got there.

I have an alarm system on the house and two dogs though so I doubt I'll ever be in that position... but you never know! I like to be prepared.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: railrunner

split the difference and get a .40
This is true. The .40 is a good compromise between a .45 and a 9mm. I will probably get an S&W M&P in the .40 some day. My father has one in the 9mm and that's a nice gun.

A lot of law enforement carry the .40. I'm not sure for the exact reason, but from what I've read I think it has to do with it being a good compromise between stopping power and penetration. In general a small faster round penetrates more easily and a larger slower round stops quicker. Maybe NAHO or someone else in law enforcement can chime in on that.

One of the reasons the Thompson submachine gun was calibered in .45 ACP was because the inventor did studies and found the larger round stopped the target faster.

One of the reasons that FN has a very high tech auto pistol and submachine gun in 5.7mm is because the small round penetrates kevlar body armor more easily and they are designed for military application. (Plus they have very high capacity mags).

Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear

what is the difference in price for 9mm .45 and .40 ammunition? That is assuming I get middle of the road to upper level grade ammunition. Also how do you tell the difference in grades of ammunition?

Also Thanks for all the help your providing

Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

Also another question is whether to get ported or not. Here is what I know and my initial thoughts: It makes the gun loud as Sh*t but reduces kick. My thoughs are that if I do go with 9mm kick shouldnt be a problem anyway but if I end up going with .40 or .45 it may be a nice thing to have.

Quick Reply: Springfield Armory XD9