Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:01 PM
1st Gear
Default timing belt replacement

Hey i got a 1999 a4 quattro 2.8 manual with 87k on it. I am thinking about getting my timing belt replaced soon. I called around and this one place said I should definitely get my water pump, timing belt, and something else (i cant remember) all replaced at the same time. So it went from just spending bout 800$ on replacing the belt to 1700 to replace a few other things including the belt. Is this completely necessary? Or can I just get by with getting the belt replaced?

Thanks for any suggestions

Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM

A typical cost of getting the timing belt (kit) package done will run you $800 to around $1,500 usually. There are different kits but you want the most complete kit including all belts, timing, a/c, p/s belt, tensioner and rollers, water pump and thermostat. Also around 3 liters of G12 coolant that they need to refill since you have to drain it. Visit ecs tuning to get an idea. Usually for the timing belt kit and coolant will run you around $300 so as you can see it is a labor intesive job. You can save a lot of money knowing a good buddy with mechanical skills and buy a 6 pack for them as well.
This can also be posted in the A4 B5 section and you will get some hints as well about the search button just to warn ya . Good luck!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:01 PM
5th Gear

Is the 2.8 crazy expensive? Parts and labour for a 1.8T would be about 800-1000.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by headshok2002
Is the 2.8 crazy expensive? Parts and labour for a 1.8T would be about 800-1000.
No just all depends on who you go to.
I was quoted around 1k for mine at a local indie Audi mechanic but the stealership was $1,400. One guy on here, can't remember was quoted around 2k for his. I would say for what he was quoted from just a little extra in parts and the damn front end is torn apart anyhow, a jump to $1,700 is quite stupid so I would head somewhere else.

Head...That pic in your sig is sweet by the way. If I didn't do all smoke that would be it .

Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Interceptor
A typical cost of getting the timing belt (kit) package done will run you $800 to around $1,500 usually. There are different kits but you want the most complete kit including all belts, timing, a/c, p/s belt, tensioner and rollers, water pump and thermostat.
Ok i talked to my mechanic friend and he said he'd do it for 725 for just replacing the belt and the accessory belt, and coolant change. That's it though. He told me the tensioner and rollers, water pump and thermostat doesnt really need to be replaced...He said the main problem with my car or what the factory says is the timing belt needing to be replaced. So my next question is it not smart to just do the two belts and coolant change? Or should I definitely do the water pump thermostat ect... all at the same time?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM
4th Gear

Do the WP, thermostat, and tensioner/rollers now... If they go later you'll be looking at the same $800 or more since you need to take it all apart again.... Better to do it now. Should only be about $150-$250 more in labor plus the parts.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks man. I just got a better deal at a different shop, they said they would replace everything including wp, thermostat etc for 1100 for everything. The only thing they said was that i wouldnt have to replace the rollers unless they are truly in need of being replaced and if they are it would only be 100 more. Funny I first called an M service shop and they wanted to charge me 1750 for everything...its always good to look around...

Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM
4th Gear

I just got a better deal at a different shop, they said they would replace everything including wp, thermostat etc for 1100 for everything. The only thing they said was that i wouldnt have to replace the rollers unless they are truly in need of being replaced and if they are it would only be 100 more.
Fair price...

Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Tell them to replace them...They are already in there and it's worth it in the long run. This area is the most important to our cars.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by drewski44
Ok i talked to my mechanic friend and he said he'd do it for 725 for just replacing the belt and the accessory belt, and coolant change. That's it though. He told me the tensioner and rollers, water pump and thermostat doesnt really need to be replaced...He said the main problem with my car or what the factory says is the timing belt needing to be replaced. So my next question is it not smart to just do the two belts and coolant change? Or should I definitely do the water pump thermostat ect... all at the same time?
Your mechanic friend does not know what he is talking about because since you are already in there the additional labor is minimal since the front of the car is already removed. The ECS ultimate timing belt kit will replace the following

Timing Belt
OE Updated Tensioner
OE Tensioner Roller
OE Idler RollerCamshaft seal
Crankshaft seal
Graf water pump with gasket & o-rings (Metal Impeller)
Behr OE Thermostat with O-ring
Conti-Tech A/C Belt
Conti-Tech P/S Belt
Conti-Tech Alternator Bel
2) 1.5 Liter bottles of G12 Coolant

This is the kit I just had installed on my car along with the turbo and the mechanic said it went together smooth as butter. He charged me $400 for installation of all the above parts and the cost of the kit was $300

Total - $700

Here is a link to the ECS Tuning kit

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...productID=5633

Just read that this is for a 2.8 so here is the proper kit for your car .....

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...productID=7442

Last edited by fred2ka4; 05-02-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: timing belt replacement