Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
18?
32.00%
21?
64.00%
26?
0%
30?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

What's a good age to start out on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
4th Gear
Default What's a good age to start out on your own?

Just watched a 60 Minutes montage talking about the newest generation called the Millennials.

They seem to have fallen waaaay short on life's expectation - in fact them seem to expect life to cater to them.

I found striking similarities in regards to my oldest boy (he's 19) and still lives with his mother - has a part/parttime job and no asperations to do more than that, snowboarding and smoking pot. After listening to some on this forum I find the same sort of reasoning...

Which is: Screw the future - I want whatever now - damn the consequences, someone else will take care of that.

Where have we gone wrong?

Never once in my life has anyone ever "hand" me anything - car, job, house, etc - you name it - I worked to get it. Yet I handed my eldest a great paying job - sold him a 02 KIA for $500 (it was bluebooked for $3000+) off a lien sale vehicle and after 6 months felt it was too hard for him to continue and needed to be home with his friends back in Colorado.

When I was 18 I joined the Army to get away from my family and strike out on my own. Created my own destiny - win or lose - cherished the success and tried to learn from the failures. That's life.

Yet it seems that people lately treat life like a video game - this isn't the Sims where you press a button to feed you and zip through your workday in 2 mins and then go play...

If you're curious to watch go to: http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...2&src=news

on the right scroll down to 60 Minutes and start at "Goofy Is Good" and watch the rest

Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: What's a good age to start out on your own?

i have 2 freinds...ones 18 ones 19 and they do exellent on thier own....but somewhat foin against my vote its best to go at 21 where you are a full adult and dont get any BS

Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Senior Administrator

My daughter & son bothe grew up in the same household, but have totally different outlooks...

Daughter's kinda WTF, whatever. took2.5 years to finish highschool finally started a semi-decent job, but not much for a prosperous future, at this point.

Son decided that he wants to be a cop. Joined teh Air Force as an SP to get practical experience. Has a feel for wht he wants and a plan on how to work towards getting it.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 PM
4th Gear

Congrats, mate!

Hoping my youngest (age 12) continues his path - wants to be a electrical engineer - loves the hardware tech field.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

I think it's a bit unrealistic to compare a young person's ability to be on their own with a previous generation.

I was 19 in 1970.I was in college and worked 32 hrs a week for around $2.40 per hour( min wage was approx. $1.65 then ).I was able to afford sharing an apartment, and had my own (cheap) car.

I have a 19 yr-old daughter right now. She makes around $7.50 per hour( min wage around $6.85 - not sure) but only gets about 24 hrs a week. She has her own (paid off) car. Her car insurance is about $180 per month. Sharing an apartment would cost her a minimum of $400 per month. These are just the basics.

Yes, the pay is substantially more these days, but EVERYTHING else has gone up exponentially even more.

Believe me - the wifey and I would LOVE to have the kids leave the nest, but it might be some time before they are able to stay afloat on thier own. It's just too expensive.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if you'll value my opinion... because I am one of the kids (being 16). Nonetheless, I have to say that the “millennial” attitude is an individual thing. I am fully looking forward to leaving the house in two years and forging my own path. Picking a career and pursuing it is greatly appealing to me, much more so than being a coach potato. Having said this, my parents will let me go slowly. They will pay the majority of my expenses during college (as they do my sister's now) as long as a I do my "job" by keeping my grades high. Any slippage (even now in high school) and things get taken away in the blink of an eye- starting with my car! So, to summarize my babbling, there is no one point in time to "start out on your own," but rather a gradual process where the individual gains liberties and independence over time as they mature. ... Just my two cents.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:03 PM
4th Gear

I'm kind of confused about this myself; I'm 22 and completely self-supported. Have been ever since I came back to my hometown after finding out firsthand that college isn't for me. I've found a good job and I'm paying my bills regularly, and I am pretty good at making long term goals and plans, and sticking to them. Obviously everything isn't perfect (credit cards suck my a$$, but hey - lesson learned), but I'm doing alright and making my way. HOWEVER; I see so many people my age who have no idea what a budget is, or how to make/use one. They have little or no sense of self-responsibility, and tend to find any excuse to blame everyone but themselves for whatever problems arise in their path. I don't know why this is, but I think it's unfortunate for these young people who definitely have a verylong, difficultpath to maturity ahead of them.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM

when I was 17 I started college at sonoma state university....so, I can say that I was "on my own", but I was still financially supported by my father....

A year later I went on an educational leave of abscence (they give you a year to figure out your life and return if you wish)...I just couldn't handle it...that's when I started at Santa Monica College...my father was soo upset that he "cut me off"...soon after moving back down south, I started working at a boating store full full time, and I got myself an apartment with an old friend...during that period I decided that I hated SMcollege and transferred to El Camino college....took all the auto stuff/hydraulics/welding/engineering...but those classes were more for my amusement than anything else...

I then returned to SMC...hated it, but got decent marks....then I met an older woman (28 to my 20)...I moved into her place in glendale...and I started a new job at a spiritual bookstore....hated the girl/job/school....so I up and left....I ended up in NY,NY....met another girl, but couldn't afford a damn thing....at least I had a job and a suger mama in LA...lol

I have now decided that my calling is teaching and I am currently in an extension program through Chico State finishing up my bachelors in Liberal Arts...in order to afford this I moved in with my mother...I am currently 21 and had not lived with her since I was 13.... We have a ranch and when I am not in school I am basically a slave, so I would have to say that I more than pay my share of the rent....

my marks in school have always been amazing and I am happy to say that I bought my audi one hour at a time selling books for a couple quarted over minimum wage...

I live with my mother under the condition that I get perfect grades and get a degree, then I will be asked to get a job and find my own place

Old 11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
4th Gear

Don't get me wrong, supporting the kids when going through further education is one thing - but ole Dave there is an exception to the rule (and I tip my hat to you mate).

Had a gal come in - lady in her early 50's - her 22 yr old totalled her 06 Jeep Cherokee while driving drunk... she was upset but was making excuses for her son's behaviour - I was flabberghasted!!!

If it had been my son - I would have made sure he was alright - then took him out somewhere remote and shot him!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: MrFlippant
I see so many people my age who have no idea what a budget is, or how to make/use one.
It's not just your age. I'm 35 & know plenty my age & older who do not know how to make or follow a budget. Just livin' check-to-check & taking out loans (or worse, putting on a credit card) when emergency expenses come out of the blue.

I'm doing pretty well - no debt aside from the house which will be paid off waaaayyy early, a very good head-start on our kids (currently 3 & 1 year olds) college funds & a good start on retirement savings for the wife& I.

But this is because I was taught well growing up. Aside from on my birthday & Christmas NOTHING came free. From 5 years old I had plenty of chores to do around the house to "earn my keep" and when it came time to buy a car I was on my own for all expenses. When I did ask my Mom for some financial help she sat me down & we worked out a loan agreement - interest & all - and if I was late on a payment my keys were gone (except to get to/from work & school) until I got caught up.

May sound bad - charging your son interest - but I got a very real idea of how the world works & what it takes to be a responsible contributor.

Most teens I know today do not get this from their parents... If they keep their grades up they get it all... new gaming system every 18 months, new car on the 16th birthday, whatever. As far as I can see keeping the grades up is the absolute minimal expectation to haveon kids... If they want more than the basic needs being covered they should be earningit themselves, not just having it dropped in their laps.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: What's a good age to start out on your own?