Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wrench Training

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Default Wrench Training

I've decided that I want to get ASE certified, and find some sort of job in an automotive field. I've looked into UTI and WyoTech, but wasn't very happy with most of the reviews/feedback that I read.

Who here in the all-knowing forum can try and steer a young'n in the right direction?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 PM
5th Gear

try an actual university. i know alfred state in NYS has a car program where my friend went to for 2 years. he's working at a subby stealership now and doing pretty well. he's getting certified in all kinds of stuff that the stealership has seminars for

Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

How much of a young'n are ya?

There are a couple of different ways you can go. Try to get on with an independent as an apprentice. You will probably start by cleaning up the shop, keeping tools organized, running parts, etc. Work your way up to doing simple stuff, like oil, filters, lube, etc. Start your tool collection.

Go right to a dealership service center and try to get on in the same way. I know that a lot of them are willing to take someone with no experience but a good attitude. Then you get your "factory certified" training.

Either method has its advantages and disadvantages, all depends on what you are looking to do specifically.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:05 PM

I am 22 years old. My father will help me pay for school some, but would like me to avoid university expenses. A community college near by appears to have a pretty solid program that would be 46 credits. I hadn't even thought of the apprenctice idea. I don't really know what I'm looking to do exactly, maybe something in body work/paint.

I was having a convo with a friend today about it and he seemed to think that there would be more opportunity for jobs in the motorcycle tech field. Any thoughts?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm from Ohio, my father in law owns a body shop. There is an EXCELLENT body school in PA I know it's a bit from home but they teach basic bodywork threw custom chop shop work! I took a tour when in highschool and the place is AMAZING! To bad I can't remember the name right now! but it just east of the Ohio PA border! I highly recommend looking into it!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Slut

If you want to do a brand specific thing, some offer their own training, (i know Audi does). BMW too i think. Not sure how hard it is to get in, but thats what I'd do.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
If you want to do a brand specific thing, some offer their own training, (i know Audi does). BMW too i think. Not sure how hard it is to get in, but thats what I'd do.
I know after you finish the "core" program at UTI, if you qualify, you can apply to several brand specific programs. If it were possible to go to "Audi School" that would be the ****, and I'd sign up tomorrow. Besides Jeep, I've never loved an entire brand as much as I love Audi.