Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF?? engine serial removed!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Default WTF?? engine serial removed!?

Hi all,
A couple of weeks back my wife was driving our 2003 A3 1.9TDI 130bhp on the motorway and the engine started making some very nasty noises. Under investigation it turned out to be a broken crankshaft of all things! serious bad luck.

Anyway my garage advised that I would be best sourcing a replacement engine, so I put the engine details into a popular parts finder service and got loads of offers on engines.

The one I went for was from quite a large chain of breakers / parts service and was a complete engine with turbo, dual mass flywheel etc.

Anyway the engine has turned up today and my garage phoned me to say that it did not look like the 130bhp engine but more like the 100bhp model. (smaller inlet & exhaust manifold + other things).

I said "well it's easy to find out just phone Audi with the engine serial" so we looked for it but the sticker on the timing belt cover had been removed and the serial number in the engine block and been erased.

Could the be any legitimate reason why someone would have done this? Would I be within my rights to demand a refund because of the lack of serial number alone, or should I just play the "it's not engine you said it was" card.

I'm gutted as we've been without a car now for 2 weeks and now it gonna be at least the same again.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer on any part of my predicament.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2009, 02:31 AM
4th Gear

Do both.. its obviously the wrong one, and theres no way to verify the engine - ask them how they verified it in the first place..? You need a refund and go somewhere else.