AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   RS Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/rs-model-line-48/)
-   -   Baby on the way... S4 vs RS4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/rs-model-line-48/baby-way-s4-vs-rs4-67235/)

Tugboat 06-23-2007 01:26 PM

Baby on the way... S4 vs RS4

Hello. This is my first post...thanks in advance for the input. My wife and I are expecting, and I am going to sell my 911 as I do not feel that it will get any use. I was planning on buying an S4, but the RS model hascaught my eye. However, I am not sure if it could be used as an every day driver. For me, the 911 was a weekend car, but I would like a 4 door that could be used year round. I live in northern Indiana, so snow is a factor.What do you think... S4 or RS4?

Thanks.

Kevin

Jiambi 06-23-2007 04:06 PM

RE: Baby on the way... S4 vs RS4

Depends on how much you really want to spend cause their's a $20k difference in price. I've owned an 05S4 prior to my RS4 now and both drive completely different, although the interiorlooks very much the same. Exterior looks, the sound, power, suspension in the RS4is allvery different from the S4 and I believe there isslightly more cabin room in the RS4, it's wider inside and out. My personal opinion, if your coming from a 911, go with the RS4, but either way both S4 and RS4 are great everday year round cars.

Tugboat 06-23-2007 04:29 PM

Are the service intervals and maintenance costs about the same? What about the gas mileage? I know that the RS4 wears more expensive tires, and both would require separate wheels and winter rubber. Are ther any other questions that I need to be asking?Have there been realibility issues vs theS4? I am really not going to be making the decisionsoley basedthe difference in cost. I want a car that is fun to drive, but one that I can live with every day. I love the handling and performance of the 911, and the rough ride really does not bother me. I test drove an S4 and was pretty impressed, but was curious what the next step (RS4) would offer.

auditech79 06-24-2007 04:28 PM

The service intervals are exactly the same as the S4, however if your buying an 07 only the first service (5k) is covered under warranty, and the parts and labor on the RS4 is much more pricy. Brakes wear out very fast, andspark plugs foul up quickly. Other than that there hasn't been that many problems with them. The gas mileage on the RS4 is horrible, 11mpg in the city and 15mpg on the highway if you baby it.
But for the horsepower its respectible. Drving the S4 and the RS4 is like night and day. I would describe the S4 as putting a smile on your face but withthe RS4 you have to put a mild serious face when giving it some throttle because it can really whip your neck shifting gears.:D

Jiambi 06-25-2007 02:08 PM

In response to tugboat. Audi has recently changed there warranty, they no longer cover everything. Example.With my prior 05 S4 oil changes etc., even my first set of front brake pads/labor included was covered.It was a great car, but it felt like the weight held down that power I wanted. Now, Audi has a new warranty,you can pay roughly $500 to have all your service included, excluding the brakes and some other items that might have been covered before. Still isn't bad, reliability is great on both. Right now I'm at 9k miles and tires still looking good, brakes are about 1/2 way doneup front. For me, gas is about 14 mpg city and 21 mpg highway, definitely guzzles, but not too much more thanmy priorS4.Personally, myRS4is definitleyworth the extra for sure!

S4LIFE 06-29-2007 09:56 PM

RS4!!!

Tugboat 06-30-2007 12:51 PM

Thanks for the info! Does anyone drive the RS4 in the snow? I have a drone car that I drive to work, but use the 911 on the weekends. We enjoy that very much, but are not going to strap Baby Pugh into the "backseat" of the Porsche. I would like to go from 3 cars down to 2. Just buy some Blizzak/ different rims...and I am good to go???

auditech79 06-30-2007 02:43 PM

An RS4 in the snow? Well i would imagine it would drive just fine because of the quattro, but it may be a little difficult to keep yourself from doing donuts out of sheer joy.:D

nsx 07-21-2007 04:28 PM

if you want to save some money then go for the s4

JETSPEED333 07-24-2007 06:25 PM

well, if money is not much of an issue, and your not commuting too far why not go for the RS? do you really want the extra power? because the S4 is definetly fast and a blast to drive... but if i could afford the RS i would have gotten it for sure...