RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

The craving worsens...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Default The craving worsens...

I spent about 45 minutes behind the wheel of a RS4 today. I dropped my S4 off for some warranty work and the salesman at my dealership who is a very laid-back and friendly guy turned me loose with him on some delightfully twisty back roads in a gorgeous Daytona Gray Pearl Effect car. It is simply mesmerizing. The slick agile click of the gearshift through the locks, the velvety smooth clutch, the razor like grip as it twisted through the curves... exquisite.Theadrenaline in my veins pumped in sync with thesinister sweet howl of the exhaustwhile the turbine-likeengine whined from crescendo to crescendo. This car is a masterpiece.

I've driven M3's andI've driven Porsche's, and they are delightful cars, but this car is so refined and present yet all the samebrutal andpowerful. It's a well-mannered thug dressed in a tuxedo. Driving it makes me draw comparisons of course. There's my TT, which really is just a cutesy Karmahn-Ghia for modern times albeit pumped up on steroids. Then there's my S4 which in so many ways shares DNA with the RS4, but in the end pales by comparison. The suspension of the RS is just so much more agile and responsive while the linearity of the power plant makes the S4 almost seem anemic by comparison. The RS engine is almost like an electric motor with its seamless flat torque curve.

After the drive was over we played with some numbers. I'm content to wait for now. We looked at the residuals on leases and on a 3 year lease return for a low mileage car (under 35k miles) they're coming in at about 52% of sticker. That's going to be doable. I can wait for now. I'll just have to endure the secondary satisfaction of my S4. It's really not a bad car, just not a RS4.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: The craving worsens...

thats awesome that the sales guy let u drive the RS4. im jealous

Old 08-03-2007, 05:41 PM

He's a pretty cool guy. He knows that one way or another he's going to sell me one. I'm content to wait a little while. I don't buy new. Why should I take the hit in the wallet just to be the first owner? As amazing as Audis are they take a huge hit to their value by the time they are 2-3 years old and have about 30k miles on them. That's the time to buy as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

Just do it man.. you won't regret it... I tell ya.. this thing is purely addictive..

Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

Beefy, I say do it too There's no way you're going to be able to wait it out for 3yrs. you're already going mad over the RS4Trade in1 or 2 of your "3" Audi's and get the RS4 bro, seriously. I would forsure!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 PM

I love my TTand my A4 is my workhorse. I put about 20k miles a year on it. I need that car to commute. The TT, well, it's a long-term project and it's paid for, so is the A4. I owe just under$12k on the S4. I want to pay off the S4 and then dump it and use the money from the sale of it to put down on a low mileage RS4. I just cannot justify spending $75k on a car that's only going to be worth about$42k in 3 years.

I'll play with the S4and the TT for now. They're both fun to drive, and when I finally get my RS4 I'll just appreciate it that much more. I just wish I had held out for a stick S4. I like the Tip, but it's just not the same. That's one of the nicer aspects of the RS4. I love the precise short throws of the shifter and the smoothness of the clutch. It's superb.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

I hear yah, I guess I just see it differently. My RS4 is my only car and I put about 15k a year.I don't think I'll ever buy a car again, because of value depreciationfor theRS4or any car really. Unless I can buy one out right cash, but even then I probably would rather keep mymoney. I'm a 3 year kinda guy when it comes tocarsbefore I want a new one. I'm hoping to trade my RS4 in for the R8 in a couple of years

Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 PM

The R8 is a delicous piece of machinery, but I won't even pretend to be able to ever afford one. I make a decent salary as a systems engineer at a large bank, but I've got the mortgage, the taxes, the 401k and the desire to invest in my retirement. I've already dedicated more than a fair share to my cars and building this TT I'm working on. I also am restoring a little VW Rabbit pickup and trying to decide about the future of a BWM 2002 that I've tired of. That car is likely going to be sold soon and the proceeds dumped into the VW.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Not to be the devil on your shoulder man, but you would be amazed at the deals out there in today's marketplace. Every car I've had in the past few years has been some form of online deal. You should seriously look at originating a lease on a used vehicle ( after the initial depreciation hit has been taken by someone else), or even assuming a lease. There are two great sites out there leasetrader and swapalease where there are some pretty wealthy dudes that tire of their cars pretty quickly and will give you hugeee cash incentives to assume their leases. All you do is pay taxes, origination fees and keep making payments on the lease for whatever number of months remain. I agree with stranger in that buying a car these days is not the most prudent financial decision. It's all about opporunity cost.. The things you could do with your money other than dumping it all into a car outright are legion. Just food for thought, and I can promise you this..... there are deals out there on rs4s, S4s and various other similar cars that would keep your payments lower than you could possibly ever imagine. Just takes some due diligence

Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM

I've never been one to lease a car. I like putting down a decent principal payment and making a smaller car payment. In the end, I have equity in the vehicle and if I am bored with it, I sell it, if I am not, then while still a depreciating asset, it's mine to keep. I put a decent down payment on my S4 and my payment is only $305. I'm figuring I'm going to have about $25k to put down on a RS4 when it comes time to buy and if I can get one for about $42k-$44k my payment is going to be about $525 or so. I'll easily be able to afford that.