RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

S4 or RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Default S4 or RS4?

So, after buying an A3 S-line for my wife a few years back, I have my heart set on getting another one as my new dd.

I want my next car to be unlike anything I have had before (read: turbo I4's) so my eyes are set on a V8 powered sledgehammer Audi.

I love the RS4 with a maniacal passion, so I am biding my time until they fall into my price range. However, I could more than likely pick up an S4 right now. Pre owned S4's are much more plentiful than RS4's and the price difference between the 2 is considerable.

Truth be told, with traffic the way it is, I will never be able to use a 340hp V8 to its potential, so what would I need with a 420hp V8?
The thing is: there are other things about the RS4 that grab my attention and make the choice clear in my head........but again: I am not sure the price is something I could live with.

I tend to keep my cars for a long time, so whatever car I end up getting has to be able to stick it out for the long haul.

Aside from the obvious (more power, bigger brakes) is there anything about the RS4 that justifies the huge jump in price?
I concede that I would buy an RS4 just for the wider fenders and more aggressive look alone.
However, I have seen many S4's around here that look just as nice with a 1" drop and some tasteful rims.

S4 and RS4 owners please weigh in, I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Well, I've just joined the forum because I got my 2007 RS4 8 days ago. The grin still hasn't faded yet. My criteria were that it had to have back seats (9 month old son), nice to drive to the mountains and around town and ocassionally track worthy. It isn't our primary car. I have had friends who have driven S4 cars at the track and there is no comparing the 2. So for me it was buy an S4 and add $$$ for suspension and handling and brakes, or just buy an RS4, drive it and love it.

As a DD, you will definitely save money on the S4 just at the pumps and on maintenance(brake job anyone?).

Put it this way, 8 days ago I had a 1999 miata. So I went from a NA 1.8l inline 4 to a 4.2 V8. I'm still grinning.

Hope this helps.