S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2.7t question about piggies/ electric cutouts for downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7t question about piggies/ electric cutouts for downpipes

would getting an electric cutout installed before the pre-cat on the downpipes be like having piggies/open downpipes? what is better, what are some of the +/-'s i like being able to go between both sounds

also will the CEL go on if i use a cutout before the cats? since there are sensors after the cats...im new but would like to know what is better, and cheaper, and since I have no welding skills so it would be getting a Vast Piggie (all labor done ) or a (two) DMH electronic cutouts

thanks

also i'm stage 3- with stock downpipe and exhaust so freeing up the exhaust im sure is gonna help me performance wise :-D

Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 AM
4th Gear

I don't think they will fit before the pre cats.

josh

Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 AM
2nd Gear

didnt know you could do stage 3 with stock exhaust and downpipes.. i thought exhaust work was stage 2.. unless your running k04 with fuel work and custom tune? maybe?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

delete my answer....i wrote to bad thread

Last edited by speedys4; 12-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bigern45
didnt know you could do stage 3 with stock exhaust and downpipes.. i thought exhaust work was stage 2.. unless your running k04 with fuel work and custom tune? maybe?
Stage 3 can be done with stock exhaust, OP is stage 3- meaning he has the k04's without new injectors or a tune. To be stage 2 you need a chip and catback, but you can skip from stage 1 to stage 3- without toucing the exhaust just by putting k04's in.

To the OP, each downpipe has 2 cats, a pre-cat shortly after the turbo, and a main cat under the car. The pre cats are in-accessible unless you remove the downpipes. Aftermarket downpipes have no pre-cat, and usually offer straight pipes in place of the main cats or a higher flow catalytic converter.

To make "Piggies" (DIY Here) you remove the exhaust, cut it open at the pre-cat, and remove all of the material in the pre-cats only a few inches from the turbo. This opens up flow much more. You also have to relocate the downstream O2 sensors to get the CEL shut off.

You could make your own piggie pipes for essentially $0, they should make a noticable difference in sound and preformance, especially on K04's. Going a step furter you can also add some cutouts/dumps, the best option would be to put them right after the flex section in place of the main cats. That just means with the cutouts open your running open downpipes with no cats. This is great for performance but its also pretty loud

Its completely up to you though. Both piggies and cutouts together would make a big difference, especially if you later get the car fueled and custom tuned for the open downpipes. If you have to pick one i would gut the downpipes first, then think about the cutouts. Also removing the DP's and making piggies is a TON more labor that slapping on some electric cutouts. There are usually ways to get around the CEL, even with straight pipes.

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 12-01-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

yeah I guess you can go full stage 3 with all stock + k04's if you get a custom tune from Vast.

but yeah I think the only way i'd do piggies is If someone in the bay area who's already done em w/ no CEL's did it for me (paid ofcourse) I just don't see it being worth to take it to a shop unless i was getting real downpipes or an exhaust and then do the piggies...damn nothing is cheap for these cars...

HP

i would love to have gutted dp's and a cutout after the precat, then getting a custom tune for it, and one for electric cutouts...if only I get the DP's gutted...anyone from Nor Cal wanna make some skrilla?