S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2000 AUDI S4 Steering Wheel Vibration+ Road Noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 AUDI S4 Steering Wheel Vibration+ Road Noise!!!!

so i was driving today and istarted noticing a noise ataround 40mph. it starts going whirl...whirl... then as i increase speed it goes fast and when i hit about 60-70 its a straight whirl... and its really annoying when driving. It sounds like the windows are down and its really loud road noise and i know the car is supposed to be relitevly quiet.

I brought the car to midas and they said that there was nothing wrong with it. The car only has 71k miles and i dont know what this noise could be. My tires are good as i checked them today.

Also when im at a complete stop and i turn my steering wheel all the way to the left or the right and give a little gas in vibrates, but if i turn when moving it doesnt vibrate.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!?????

Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 2000 AUDI S4 Steering Wheel Vibration+ Road Noise!!!!

There are a lot of things to get checked here. Some you can do yourself by peaking into the wheel well.

A) Control arms/ Tie rod ends) - Check the rubber bushings around all four control arms and TRE's even the smallest tear or hole will mean it is time to replace them. This is also the mileage for them. (they go often) It can help to find a tear with soapy water just rub some water around with your finger and look for bubbles.

B) Wheel bearing ) - If you can jack up where the sound is coming from and try to move the wheel in or out, just mainly shaking it about. If there is any play...Bad bearing. It will also sound like a humming. or random road noise. I actually have one that has gone bad and just haven't had time to put it on the lift so it is real bad. Sounds like a Jet engine when accelerating through 60-70mph.

C) Steering noise/vibration) - Check your power steering fluid. You could also have a Power steering pump going. maybe even a rack. Is the steering stiff? Vibration in steering can also come from bad control arms and maybe even a Horrific Wheel bearing.

Try checking some of these yourself. what you cant check take to the Dealer or a Good Audi/European independent. Good luck.

-Cameron