S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Can this be a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:40 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Can this be a good deal

There is a 2001 S4 with 69k miles, I brought the guy from 13k to 10500. However, I'm still a little worried. Is this a good deal as i know the nature of the k03 turbos, but should they still be quite stable if I keep it stock (nearly impossible :P)? also its a tiptronic. I would appreciate any input into what to look out for, like i know about the overly loud turbo and etc, but are there any more and any specifically for that mileage range?

thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 AM
3rd Gear

Youll be doing the timing belt job pretty soon if it hasnt been done its expensive if you dont do it yourself, if hes allready dropped the price then its pretty fair.

The turbos should last longest with stock programing, but not indefinitly. Most important is to let the car warm up and cool down and to give it regular oil changes.

Tip dosnt have the notorious transmission issues the 6 speed does but it also isnt as much fun, and might need upgrading if you want to go to stage 3, which i guess is not a problem for you.

Turbos can be loudish

Boost Leaks are Bad, the throttle body boot right in the front commonly fails, stock diverter valves often fail, the stock tie rod ends are weak as well.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HP Addict
Youll be doing the timing belt job pretty soon if it hasnt been done its expensive if you dont do it yourself, if hes allready dropped the price then its pretty fair.

The turbos should last longest with stock programing, but not indefinitly. Most important is to let the car warm up and cool down and to give it regular oil changes.

Tip dosnt have the notorious transmission issues the 6 speed does but it also isnt as much fun, and might need upgrading if you want to go to stage 3, which i guess is not a problem for you.

Turbos can be loudish

Boost Leaks are Bad, the throttle body boot right in the front commonly fails, stock diverter valves often fail, the stock tie rod ends are weak as well.
yeah I knew about the TBB and the boost leaks, but thanks so much i completely forgot the timing belt ! I got this quoted along time ago by a shop near by, I was thinking it wasnt that bad : 1. Timing Belt- $99.95
2. Water Pump- $159.95
3. Serpentine Belt- $ 69.95
4. Fluids- $49.95
5. Thermostat- $35.95
6. Cam seals- $14.95 ea
7. Front main Seal- $29.95
8. Labor- $540.00
total 1016ish I was thinking of just bringing in my own parts and i could save even more. think that quote is fair?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:31 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah about $1000 would be a pretty good deal, i paid $1100.

If you do buy the car ECS tuning is a usefull site for parts. http://www.ecstuning.com

The ECS ultimate kit is less then what he would be charging you for parts and includes all this:
Timing belt
Idler roller
Tensioner roller
Hydraulic tensioner
Relay lever for hydraulic tensioner
Water pump
Cam seals (2)
Crank/Oil pump seal
Thermostat
Thermost O-Ring
Accessory drive belt
Two 1.5 Liter bottles of G12 coolant

Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 PM

thats actually a really fair price even though its tip. mine had 96k on it when i bought it for 10500. you may not need to worry about the timing belt for a while, ive got 103k miles on mine and its still not dead yet.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear

$10500 for an '01 with 69k miles? That is a STEAL! Even if it needs a TB job, that is still way low. Is the title clean, or is it a salvage title?

Drive it for a while and check for codes, the Tips are notorious for having problems with the torque converter. While this may not be the "standard" 1st - 2nd gear synchro issue found on the 6spd, it is an expensive PITA. Keep that in mind.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

dubwerks in cinci told me $925 parts included for a timing belt job.

I'm buying the kit from blauparts.com and having an independent porsche/audi shop do it for around $560 labor.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by meatbiscuit
$10500 for an '01 with 69k miles? That is a STEAL! Even if it needs a TB job, that is still way low. Is the title clean, or is it a salvage title?

Drive it for a while and check for codes, the Tips are notorious for having problems with the torque converter. While this may not be the "standard" 1st - 2nd gear synchro issue found on the 6spd, it is an expensive PITA. Keep that in mind.
title clean like a whistle. ah good point, ill do that.

@ HP Addict
Yeah ecs is awesome, but I was thinking of buying the kit without the rollers, tensioner and crap. Since I'm still pretty noob around motors lol

got a question for all thought, anyone got a clip that I can hear when a turbo is ready to kick the can?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear

Dentist drill, Smoke from the exhaust, no boost means theyre blown. Before that happens theres not a whole lot of warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhOMppm-SLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSEFU...eature=related

Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HP Addict
Dentist drill, Smoke from the exhaust, no boost means theyre blown. Before that happens theres not a whole lot of warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhOMppm-SLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSEFU...eature=related
LMAO wow that sounds so funny. well since its not my car it sounds funny lmao. thanks though.

iight guys ill let you know what happen by the end of the week.

Quick Reply: Can this be a good deal