S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2001 S4 Maintenance Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 S4 Maintenance Help

I have my 80k maintenance coming up very soon and would like to get the timing belt/water pump job done at the same time. I don't have the knowledge or tools to do any of this myself. As you can imagine the dealer prices are outrageous. I called a great shop nearby that I trust to do a good job and they quoted me just under $2000 for the 80k and timing belt. They are really cool guys and told me I could bring my own parts to cut down cost. What I really want to know is if anyone can give me a complete list of what I need. I have looked up timing belt kits but they seem to vary in price and what you actually get. I noticed some come with the serpentine belt and some don't. I am really new to the Audi world so any help is appreciated. Links are great as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

here you go:

1a. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...ipping/ES7439/
1b. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...ew_All/ES6168/ (if you dont need the cam tool)
2. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...iew_All/ES579/
3. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-..._All/ES518084/ (you can get any air filter but this one is dry flow and wont gunk up your maf. also reusable.)

i'd also go with new spark plugs and fluids.

should be all of it. this is what i did.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

also i changed my diverter valves out and got a silicone hose kit cause my rubber hoses looked like ****. check and make sure these things are still in good shape.

Are you all stock?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

It is all stock. Got it from a man in his 60's who maintained it very well and had every service record. Thanks for those links! The prices the shop was charging me on parts was pretty high after I called them back and asked for individual prices. Just for example spark plugs were $27.00 but I found the same ones online for $10.50. Every little bit adds up.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

vacuum lines are a good thing to look at too and a boost leak check. just make sure you stay on top of this cars maintenance. it is amazing how expensive it gets when you get behind! Especially if you have a repair shop do the work.

Good luck! Cross your fingers and hope that your mechanics dont uncover any other maintenance issues. tends to happen with these vehicles.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

I hope they go over everything. They are a very reputable shop. They service Ferraris, porsches, Lambos, you name it. The guy I talked to also said that two of his technicians own S4's and will be doing the work. I hope there are no surprises haha. Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

I do have one more question. How many bottles of antifreeze are required for the coolant system flush? Some of the kits come with 4 1.5 liter bottles and some with only 2.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

not sure how much is required for a flush. when i bought the ecs t-belt kit the 2 1.5 liter bottles were enough for a refill. i'm guessing the 4 1.5 liter bottles would be for a flush opposed to just a refill. if you need extra you can get 1gal bottles for $20 at the dealership.

which kits are you looking at?

p.s. do you have your radio code? when they unplug your battery it puts your radio in safe mode and you need a code to unlock it. should be written in one of your cars manuals.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tip about the radio code. I will have to check my manuals after work. I will probably have to buy a couple more bottles of coolant just to be on the safe side. I am probably just going to grab the kit you linked me to. The other kit I was looking at was on blauparts.com
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21113-1B
Let me know what you think about that one. I am not sure what sites are reputable in the Audi world.

On a side note I love my S4 more than my G35. It might not be faster but it is a dream to drive and just a fantastic car. I can't help feeling like a tool whenever I get into my G35 at times but when I get into the S4 I feel great.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear

blauparts is a good one too. i picked up the ecs one and it hasnt failed me yet. i'm at 93,xxx miles and i did this kit at 80,xxx miles.

Are you planning on modding the car? a stage 1 chip will make you way faster than your infiniti.

Quick Reply: 2001 S4 Maintenance Help