S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Audi S4 (B7) - Gearbox sticking in Park - intermittent - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi S4 (B7) - Gearbox sticking in Park - intermittent - PLEASE HELP

Hi guys

Having sold my last S4 I've been tempted to buy another as one has come up at a good price and has the spec I like - but it does have an intermittent fault and I want some advice on what I could be facing if I go ahead an buy it...

Basically the car will stick in Park (it's an auto) and will take a few tries to get it out of park. Once out of park it's absolutely fine and drives as normal. It does not do it every time - maybe 50% of the time.

Now, the seller has spent a bit of money getting it diagnosed and has basically given up and decided to sell it cheap rather than keep throwing more money at it.

He's been advised, and this pretty much stacks up with what I've read on the forums, that it could be any of the following:

1) Brake switch
2) Plunger
3) Solenoid

Now, guys, what I need to know is:

1) Is there anything NOT listed above which could cause this?
2) The brake switch seems an easy replaceable part - but what about the solenoid and plunger?? Are they gearbox out jobs? Are the parts expensive??

Please help guys, I really like the car and it's potentially a great buy - but I need to knwo what I'm getting in to!!

Thanks guys!!!