S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

B6 S4 Engine Problem!! HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:45 AM
1st Gear
Default B6 S4 Engine Problem!! HELP NEEDED

Hi, everyone,

I realized that my car was burning oil really fast. like 8 quarts in 2000km total.
I got a compression test done and the results were not good. i don't remember the exact numbers but they were like this:

cyl1 12.4
cyl2 12.2
cyl3 10.4
cyl4 9.8
cyl6 9.0
cyl7 14.7
cyl8 9.9

I am guessing that the problem is because of piston rings. We are going to open up the engine and see. the car only has 40.000 miles on it so I think the pistons are still fine.

The Audi Service here are crazy. Just to open the engine and put it back without any repairs is $2500 so I won't get it repaired there. I will need to buy the oem piston rings. anyone know a website where I can buy oem audi engine parts etc????

Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

im seriously doubting your rings are bad. at 40k ive never heard of it. I can see one cylinder dragging but all of em at 40k.....i dont think so. (yes it could happen, but you would seriously have to abuse your car)
Your compression problem is more then likely a result of timing. Its an interference motor so thats also hard to believe as you probably would have heard valve collision. Tell your mechanic to confirm all timing marks. None of this explains your oil consumption but i think you haver something else going on here. Does your car smoke? Does it smell? What does color is your exhaust smoke and does it smell?
Bad rings, means blow by. Blow by means your going to ignite oil ontop of the piston and out the exhaust it'll go.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 PM

are you seeing any leaks or anything after you parked your car over night? i was about to say check your lower intercooler hoses but heh no wrong engine

Old 05-11-2009, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear

i disagree with pepsicolla.. i have a friend that has a b6 with 55k or so and he just had to have his complete engine due to ring failure.. total bill was about 15000...i talked about it on another post...

Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 AM

you know i was seriously considering trading my b5 in for a b6 s4 cuz i wanted something newer and less things to go wrong and i just love the way it looks especially with some bbs lm's but from being on this forum ive heard wayyy to many horror stories about spending money up the *** for repairs on the B6

Old 05-11-2009, 04:30 AM
2nd Gear

yeah that compression is really low... are you sure that's not a cylinder leak down percentage for each cylinder?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 AM
1st Gear

because the comp. was low and the car was burning a lot of oil, i thought it would be the rings.

I checked online but didn't find a website who sells oem piston rings. (please inform me if you know a site)

I think I'll take it to my mechanic and we will open up the engine and change the rings. hopefully the pistons will be fine (at 40k miles I think they will be OK)

Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

Unless you rarely change the oil, it's hard to think it may be the rings. If it was a gasket you would see oil spilling somewhere or it would be mixed with your coolant. Have you checked the valve clearances?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Site Moderator

No ******* way you could burn that much oil in that short amount of time, not to mention you would have the biggest cloud of blue smoke coming out of the tailpipes if that were true. The numbers you have posted are bogus because the engine couldn't even run with less than 70 psi in the cylinders, that has to be a CLT test. I also have no faith in those numbers either because if you have that much blow by you would have absolutely NO POWER. It would run like a geo metro with a 600 lb she male in the front seat. Take the car to a shop that knows their *** from a hole in the ground, or get the correct info from the tech because you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear

It was my impression that he had misplaced the period...

Quick Reply: B6 S4 Engine Problem!! HELP NEEDED