AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   S Car Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/)
-   -   B7 S4 AUTO Shifting Issues? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/b7-s4-auto-shifting-issues-41541/)

nwssinc 09-16-2006 10:37 PM

B7 S4 AUTO Shifting Issues?

Hi All,

New to this forum, looking forward to checking out all of your good info. I just purchased this summer a new 06' S4 Avant with the tiptronic.

Here's my question, is my car shifting as it should? Weither I am in D, S or tiptronic mode, here is the general max shift points I am seeing in each gear:

1st Gear 5800-6200
2nd Gear 6400-6600
3rd Gear 6400-6650
4th Gear 6400-6700

I know there is probably not to many people on the forum with the tiptronic (sissy move I know), but does this seem normal? In my wifes Volvo 06' V70R, with the tiptronic, we can ride each gear to the revlimiter no problem.

I have talked to the dealer, and they didn't really know. Should I call Audi and complain about this? I looked on the website and the stats say the car makes 340hp @ 7000rpm. If my car never hits 7k, then it's never making 340...right?

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance...

bluovalguy 09-22-2006 08:56 PM

RE: B7 S4 AUTO Shifting Issues?

How many miles you have on it??

nwssinc 09-23-2006 01:51 PM

Nice picture...I'll work on getting one of those myself.

The car has about 6k miles on it.

I have 19" wheels and an aftermarket air intake as upgrades. The car never redlined before these upgrades, but it's hard to remember if they have made it worse. The dealer wants me take these upgrades of before they will look at the issue with Audi.

drsus 09-23-2006 06:46 PM

I have a tiptronic s4 2005.5 as well and my car redlines on every gear......id say yours has an issue for sure.

nwssinc 09-24-2006 05:24 AM

thanks for reply. With that info, I contacted the dealer today and they agreed to get audi involved. They are telling me I will need to take the evolution air intake off and reinstall stock airbox, but hopefully I can get my car to rev past 6k in first gear. Thanks again for the help!

Justin 09-25-2006 03:14 AM

Well I have a B7 S4 with Tip too. This is what I found out about my car after experimenting with it. D shifts smoothly at a lower RPM. S shifts really high for me but not all the way to redline. When I put my car in Tip in S, it will still shift me at the same RPM as it does even without the Tip. But in D, I can shift with Tip all the way to redline.

nwssinc 09-25-2006 12:19 PM

Justin...thanks for the info.

That pretty much seems to be what my car is doing. However, my car will not redline in any situation, not matter the mode.

What seems most concerning though is that with full throttle in first gear, no matter the mode, I can not get it to shift higher than 6100.

I'll see what the dealer and audi say and report back.

Justin 09-25-2006 09:11 PM

Is your car chipped? Maybe that might be affecting it. If you have warranty and you take the Audi in with the chip, they will void it.

kleggo 09-25-2006 09:21 PM

I have talked to the dealer, and they didn't really know. Should I call Audi and complain about this? I looked on the website and the stats say the car makes 340hp @ 7000rpm. If my car never hits 7k, then it's never making 340...right?

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance...
[/quote]

sorry, can't answer your question re. shift points, but i can say with complete certainty that you do not need to reach maximum RPM to achieve maximum horsepower.
HP is a function of Torque and max torque is NEVER (at least not with traditional 4 stroke engines), reached at max RPM.
HP @ max RPM may only be ~ 90 - 95%, or less, of max HP.
check out a few TQ / HP curves and you'll see what i mean.
try this for instance

http://www.audiworld.com/news/05/b6dyno/content2_.shtml

be safe
have fun

kleggo

nwssinc 10-15-2006 08:54 PM

Thanks for the link, helpful info since I now am looking for a chip. I see the power curve peaks about 6400-6700. My point mainly is though that the futher up in the RPM you shift, the farther up in the RPM you are in the next gear. Hence, keeping you in the peak powerband.

Strangly enough the car is now shifting better. However, I still never see anything over 6150 in first gear. The rest of the gears I can squeeze 6700-6800 out. The regional manager for midwest audi test drove the car, and said everything seemed fine to him. So to confirm there is other tip drivers out there that get redline in 1st gear?

Question??? Would my larger 19" wheels effect the shifting range? I think I did keep the same over all size though, with smaller tires etc, so I don't think this should effect it.