S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

brake lights go on when car is parked, locked, and not running.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM
1st Gear
Default brake lights go on when car is parked, locked, and not running.

Hey guys, i have a 2004 S4, i bought it 2 1/2 years ago, and i've never really had an issue with it until this past spring. It happened a couple times, then the problem seemed to go away, so i wanted to try and find a pattern before i came to the forums... unfortunately i have after 4 months or so, been unable to find any pattern...

What is happening, is i'll park my car, and lock it up, and walk away, and then the brake lights go on, and they stay on. If i kick the brake pedal they will shut off, but the thing is, is that the lights don't go on until after i walk away, so i never KNOW their on... i, or my mom, or a coworker find them on sometimes hours later, i've even needed once to get a jump at work before i could start my car because of this problem.

I'd like to say it happens when it rains or something, but that's not the case, weather has nothing to do with it. It's not when it's cold out, it's not when it's hot out, it's not even necessarily after i've driven it, because i hadn't touched my car in 36 hours, and when i came in last night, everything was fine, but at noon today, the brake lights were on... and the cars been locked for a day and a half.

I'm completely lost and hard times have hit me just like everyone else, i have other things i need to spend money on, i can't afford to take it in for an electrical diagnosis at the dealer let alone what the cost of the fix might actually be, if they can even track it down.... you can understand my frustration here.

ANY help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!