S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Buying and S4, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying and S4, a few questions

Hey guys,
I'm new here to the Audi world. I've owned 3 BMW E36 M3 sedans, and modded them with coilovers, intake, exhaust, wheels and such. I've had 2 Pontiac G8 GXP's. The last one I just sold last week, was an M6, with headers, exhaust, intake, and tune.

So...I'm going to get a 2004 S4 I've found, and it has coilovers already, Borla exhaust, and wheels.

Being new to Audi's, anything in particular I should look for? I know my BMW's all had their usual quirks and common issues and things that should just be replaced. I have alot to learn about Audi's and am looking forward to it. I generally do all of my own work, so I'm not afraid to jump into something.

I appreciate any help and information you guys can give me to get me started!
Also, this S4 doesn't have an intake, any particular one that is pretty popular with you guys!

Thanks and look forward to being active on the forum!
Tim

Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM
4th Gear

Cam followers or cam tensioners, or something like that. The '04 engine had an issue with them. If they haven't been replaced, you're looking at a really expensive job. The engine has to be pulled in order to fix it.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Cam followers or cam tensioners, or something like that. The '04 engine had an issue with them. If they haven't been replaced, you're looking at a really expensive job. The engine has to be pulled in order to fix it.
Is that something that is supposed to be replaced by a certain mileage, or drive it until it needs replaced? Do most of them eventually have to be replaced?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM
4th Gear

I don't know the exact details, I just know they are notorious for failing. Do a search in this forum and you will find what you need.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
How do you know when they are going bad, I've read on here about them making noise. Is that when you know something is up?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

IIRC....

Quite of few of the BBK engines will have a bit of chain rattle on startup, especially if it's cold. The chains are hydraulically tensioned, so it takes a second for the tensioners to come all the way up. That's normal.

If you can hear a chain rattle after the car is warmed up, or even after 3 or 4 seconds of running, you may have trouble coming, as it's a sign that the tensioners/guides are wearing out. There are quite a few threads about them failing, particularly in the late 2003/early 2004 S4's. By late 2004/2005, the problem was sorted out. It's not a normal wear item; as far as I've read, there's no suggested replacement schedule. There are S4's with better than 120k miles on them happily chugging along. Like any car, but with this system in particular, the biggest key to keeping the timing system happy is good oil and frequent changes.

Other than that, it's a pretty solid chassis. MT6 is well sorted, quattro is flawless. There is some stupidity that affects the B6/B7 S4's at random, that being the auxiliary coolant valve getting stuck open. Makes it a bear heating up in the winter and throws a CEL. It's an easy repair; about 200 bucks for the new hose/valve (which was updated) and you have to dump the coolant loop. Not all are affected, but don't be shocked if yours is.

All in all, a great platform. Welcome to the party!
-Red

Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Red,

Thanks for the info, helps alot. I'm going to pick up the car next weekend in Dallas. Owner said there is no chain rattle on start up at all. Car was very well maintaned, he has all the records. Do you guys generally use 0W40 oil?

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by Teerump; 02-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Hey Tim:

A lot (most?) of us run 5W-40 Mobil 1. It's a VAG approved oil, is available everywhere, and isn't all that expensive. The 0W-40 is VAG approved as well. Search the forums if you want a lot of lowdown; the oil debate has been beaten to death more than a few times.

For all the oil info you could want on what Audi thinks our cars should drink:
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09..._1997-2012.pdf

Have fun driving the car home next weekend!
-Red

Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RedShoeRider
Hey Tim:

A lot (most?) of us run 5W-40 Mobil 1. It's a VAG approved oil, is available everywhere, and isn't all that expensive. The 0W-40 is VAG approved as well. Search the forums if you want a lot of lowdown; the oil debate has been beaten to death more than a few times.

For all the oil info you could want on what Audi thinks our cars should drink:
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09..._1997-2012.pdf

Have fun driving the car home next weekend!
-Red
Red,
Thanks again for the info.... I surely won't beat the best oil debate anymore. It's the same on every forum. I just wanted to see what the "norm" is. This car seems to be more prone to engine problems with the timing chain and tensioners, etc... with poor oil maintenance. Clarification, are most guys running synthetic oil?

Flying out Sunday and plan on driving half way home, spend the night then make it the rest of the way. My 13yr. old son is going with me. We'll have fun. I've made SEVERAL road trips to get a car, so I'm use to it! Part of the fun!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Teerump
Clarification, are most guys running synthetic oil?
Every guy is running synthetic. If the previous owner of this one wasn't, slowly walk away now and never look back.

Quick Reply: Buying and S4, a few questions