S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Carbon build up on my S6

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Last Place - just "necause"
Default Carbon build up on my S6

Took myS6 into the shop two weeks ago for a check engine light. It came on while going full throttle. Codes came back showing that coil pack for cylinder 4 needed to be replace. SM said that they believe that fixed the problem but should the light come on again to let them know. Totla cost for this service $154.70 I thanked him and scheduled a 75k service for about two week out.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday, I get the CE light again at full throttle. Call up the and they ask me to bring it by on Wednesday. They tell me that they are going to hold onto the car this time to ensure that the problem doesn't re-appear and will give me a loaner and complete the 75k service I had already scheduled for later in the week. So the wife drops off the car on Wednesday and is given a 2012 A4 avant. I have to say I am impressed with this car. Still has got some power and the MPG's are great too.

Wednesday evening I call the SM as I have not heard from him all day. He says I called just as his tech told him the issue was not resolved and the next steps. He tells me that this time the coil pack from cylinder 6 is showing bad and they replaced it but the codes will not go away. He says they want to keep the car another day to run more diags on it to figure out what is causing the codes. I agree.

Thursday the SM calls and tells me that they still cannot get the codes to clear and in order to see what is causing this issue they would like to open her up. I ask what I was looking at right now price wise before they opened her up and he tells me that he was not going to charge me the full price for the diag as it did not fix the problem and we were presently at ~$120. I asked how much this next step would cost and he says ~$600. I tell him to go ahead as I need to get this fixed.

Friday afternoon the SM call me and states they found the problem; "Wow. Cylinder 2-5-9 and 10 were close to carbon closed. I've taken pictures of before/after. I want to replace #6 injector due to carbon damage to the injector nozzle". He also says that he doesn't believe that all that carbon buildup was done by me as he knows I am a spirited driver and use good gas. He believes that previous owner didn't drive the car and run cheap gas though her and those were the causes of my problem. We both knew that the cleaning had to be done so I ask him again were we now stood with the total cost. He says "$1788.90 with the Service.". [=(]

The point I am hoping everyone takes away from this is DO NOT USE CHEAP FUEL!!! The few pennies you save now will cost you double later in repairs. I added the prices so that you can see what you save is not going to cover the cost of repair.

Here are the picture I received from the SM:

We can rebuild her, we have the technology
Name:  4d72fdbd.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  86.7 KB

Picture of the clog
Name:  ea7ddb77.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  128.2 KB

After cleaning
Name:  0b7b84c0.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  112.3 KB

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Last Place - just "necause"

While searching the web I found this interesting post.

Direct injection fouls some early adopters

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM

So I was wonding how long and how many miles you have put on your car since purchasing it.

I am looking at an S6 2007 model with 40k miles. So just seeing what you think.

Also a side note, are you happy with the purchase?

Thanks