AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   S Car Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/)
-   -   Fastest S4? or bomb? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/fastest-s4-bomb-87633/)

a4audia4 01-12-2008 07:35 AM

Fastest S4? or bomb?

What's up everyone? I'm new to this forum, and not really a technical guy with cars... but over the lastcouple weeks I read A LOT about the b5 models... before getting into the modification craze, I recently bought a 1997 2.8L 12valve... first mistake... now, I'm thinking I'd like an S4. I want to mod it like crazy, but don't want to make the same mistake I did with the 2.8.

I want to know how fast and reliable a super modified S4 can go onstreet tires and pump gas. From what I've read, doesn't look like an S4 can break 11 seconds... doesn't look like it traps more than 120~ish. Is that about right? Are there any better?

Ideally, I'd like RS6 turbos, rs4 internals. As for tuning, who's the best? Not best deal, but best period. What does something like that run- trap speed and 1/4 time? Is it reliable? How much will it cost?

One more thing... has anyone ever sequential turbo charged an S4? Is it even possible? For example, either K04 turbos or RS6 turbos in the engine compartment, and a larger rear mounted turbo in the back? Is that crazy or feasible?

Lastly, how much would something like that cost including installation and tuning? (RS6 turbos, RS4 internals, tuning, sequential turbos)...

I dream of having a 10sec S4...any input isappreciated

SourDieselS4 01-12-2008 01:21 PM

RE: Fastest S4? or bomb?

ORIGINAL: a4audia4

What's up everyone? I'm new to this forum, and not really a technical guy with cars... but over the last couple weeks I read A LOT about the b5 models... before getting into the modification craze, I recently bought a 1997 2.8L 12valve... first mistake... now, I'm thinking I'd like an S4. I want to mod it like crazy, but don't want to make the same mistake I did with the 2.8.

I want to know how fast and reliable a super modified S4 can go on street tires and pump gas. From what I've read, doesn't look like an S4 can break 11 seconds... doesn't look like it traps more than 120~ish. Is that about right? Are there any better?

Jaybquick has a k04 car that runs 11.19 at somehting like 130mph and thats pretty damn fast for k04's. 10's on ko4's is pushing it but is possible, yeah on street tires you will have trouble hooking up. Remember though weight reduction can do wonders. However with new turbos and enough money the limits are endless.

Ideally, I'd like RS6 turbos, rs4 internals. As for tuning, who's the best? Not best deal, but best period. What does something like that run- trap speed and 1/4 time? Is it reliable? How much will it cost?

i believe the "hybrid turbos" use an rs6 compressor wheel in a modified k04 housing, definitly 100% not rs4 internals. When comparing a k04 kit to the rs6's its going to be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive for hybrids. Its still in the process of being developed so its probably not as relyable and proven as k04's YET. "best" is a difficult term... i get work on my car done locally because its easier, but if i was going to be spending the equivalent of a years touition tuning my car i would send it to VAST. If your serious about it and have the money to fund it im sure they would work with you to make a 10 second car. They have a great reputation.

One more thing... has anyone ever sequential turbo charged an S4? Is it even possible? For example, either K04 turbos or RS6 turbos in the engine compartment, and a larger rear mounted turbo in the back? Is that crazy or feasible?

I think its a daft idea. There are multiple methods of turbo charging, staged and sequential are far more complex than parallel. Id Just go with 2 new turbos, if you want power that badly go for bigger turbos, something like Garrett GT28r's

Lastly, how much would something like that cost including installation and tuning? (RS6 turbos, RS4 internals, tuning, sequential turbos)...

Id say no less than $20,000, and it could end up being more. Theres ALOT you would have to replace, full exhaust, intercoolers, clutch, youd be pushing your transmisison to its limit. With that much power youd want a BBK (youd realize the first time you tryed braking from 150mph), new suspension.... etc

I dream of having a 10sec S4... any input is appreciated
My presonal opinion: tuning an s4 is expensive. The more power you want the more it will cost. k04's will get you close to 10's but are by far the cheapest and easiest path. Weight reduction also dose wonders. If you have the money, go garrett but a k04 car is fast enough imo

As far as cost of a good k04 kit... Id go AWE with fueling for $5500, AWE downpipes for $1700, Exhaust ranges from $700 - $1500, Intercoolers around $1400. Add a new clutch and soem goodies like short shifter, DTS, Engine mounts, DV's, and bi pipe. all before installation...That would be a SOLID k04 car. After that you can add brakes, suspension, lighter wheels, and really theres no limit to the money you could spend....

murphy_boy_2 01-12-2008 07:05 PM

I hate to say it but don't you guys wish parts were nice and inexpensive like they are for hondas.... but still have german quallity. That would be great.

a4audia4 01-12-2008 07:32 PM

Murphy boy, I'm right there with you... if I could trade blood for some of those parts I would... SO EXPENSIVE!

Hey, thanks for your input, HP addict. I don't know if I'm alone on this one, but I think a 20,000 investment in a b5s4 is a beautiful investment considering some of the "performance" cars coming out... I love the sleeper look. I really think I might do this. As for just having larger turbos instead of sequentials, Ithought larger turbos have longer lag times... that's why I thought having the K04 or RS6 turbos (or hybrids) for quick response and larger turbos for higher RPM response wouldgive the best performance over a wide band... no? I saw a company that makes rear mount turbos- STS- I wonder if it would work. Is it a terrible idea for some reason that I haven't learned yet? Or is it just too much power for the S4? Or maybe too much heat?... by the way, you mentioned GT28R turbos. How do they compare with RS6 turbos? Or RS6 hybrid turbos? and also, by the way, that last comment of yours (about having no limit to the $ put into the car)after seeing some of the parts costs, I believe you word for word about that... kind of scary though.

I just want to make sure I have all the facts straight before I go investing that much money. Before I buy the car, I want to have everything I want to mod mapped out. Anyone else know about the sequential turbo feasability?

Reckless_Kelly 01-12-2008 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: a4audia4
Anyone else know about the sequential turbo feasability?
You would be breaking new ground for the most part. I've heard mixed reviews about the STS turbo setups, the biggest gripe is that they only work well on BIG displacement V8s (think about how much exhaust would be needed to fill the system between the engine and the turbos, not tomention the fact that as the exhaust cools, it contracts and becomes less efficient). You'd have to figure out the fuel mapping, find a way to prevent "back boosting" through the big turbos while they spool up, finding a place to put more intercoolers. All of this just adds more weight to the car and realistically you're going to get to the point that you are producing so much boost and heat that the engine won't hold together any more. You best bet is to go with k04s, get the car dialed in, and start reducing weight. Another thing you need to look at is the condition af the car that you're starting with, a 120k mile motor can only take so much before you're looking at rebuilding it, and a 30k mile car is going to be hard to find and expensive. My recommendation is to find a well takien care of car that hs already been upgraded with k04s, downpipes, exhaust, intercoolers, chipped, etc., and build on it from there. Stage 3 cars are selling for around $20-22k right now, and they usually already have the bugs worked out versus $12-15k for a stock car and then $20k on top of that, plus the time involved in making everything "work right".

That's just my .02. (but with the current exchange rate, it's not worth much)

RED_01 01-13-2008 09:00 PM

[/quote]
I want to know how fast and reliable a super modified S4 can go onstreet tires and pump gas. From what I've read, doesn't look like an S4 can break 11 seconds... doesn't look like it traps more than 120~ish. Is that about right? Are there any better?

I dream of having a 10sec S4...any input isappreciated
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPe2Wgg8s08

Nuff said.....

SourDieselS4 01-13-2008 09:46 PM

that car is almost 900lbs lighter than a stock s4. What again did i say about weight reduction?

Only problem is that the car in that video is in no way useable as a daily driver.

Woodhead2k 01-13-2008 11:16 PM

How about a 9 sec S4? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3986370630426338539&q=fastest+ s4&total=20&start=0&num=10&so=0&am p;type=search&plindex=1

I'd even use that as a daily driver!

First question you need to ask yourself is how deep your pockets are. If you really want to sink your teeth into this, like said above, take it to VAST. Those guys can set you up with everything you need and install it. For turbos I'd get the GT28 kits, not sure who makes it but I thought it was from VAST. AWE is also a great company to work with. I think the sequential turbos would be kinda pointless, they're more for the larger displacement engines.

ORIGINAL: Reckless_Kelly

not tomention the fact that as the exhaust cools, it contracts and becomes less efficient

You want exhaust to be cold, heat = lose-of-energy = less power which resulted in the invention of the intercooler......

tsbpenguin 01-14-2008 12:33 AM

I don't know why everyone thinks it's so much more expensive to go GT28R. Find the right deal and you're looking at 1600 for two GT28R's. That's no more than k04's.

Deb38 01-14-2008 12:57 AM

Ok, then find the plumbing for inlets, downpipes, and get a tune..