S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Funny squeak thats not so funny

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Funny squeak thats not so funny

Hey everyone I'm new here but have gleaned a bunch of info from all the other posts and am very thankful for every one's opinions and hope to get some more from you guys now. I have a 2002 S4 and I've had it since januaury this year and it has been a great car, but I just discovered something pretty annoying. A squeak has developed thats sounds like the brakes need to be changed, but it only happens when I'm driving and NOT braking. When I do hit the brakes it stops. Needless to say I'm pretty confused and would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Default RE: Funny squeak thats not so funny

hey i just bought an b5 s4 also so i dunno if the brakes have it, but on my last car when the brakes got too worn there was a tab that would make a noise like that to tell you you needed new brakes and obviously once pushed down on it would stop... to me that sounds like what it is.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Hey man thanks, can anyone tell me if our S4 has a system like that?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:57 AM

^^^^^^ hahahahaa....bunches of newbies....j/k.....the S4 come with brakes sensors...if is low it will show brake CEL...but "its4her", if you said exactly the way is it....i think it could be the brake pad(s)...some aftermarket pads mite do that... making squeaky noise at low speed while going over bumps but stop when you step on the brake...thats what happen to mine....if not then it could beanything...suspension, tie rod, a-arm....good luck

Old 10-31-2007, 02:08 AM
SoCal Crew Member

definitely sounds like you should get the brakes checked out

Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys for the input guys. Does anyone know of a place close to temecula CA where I can have the work done? I know I can take it to anywhere that normally does brakes, but I'd rather take it somewhere with a good reputation. Thanks for the info

Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM

anything rubber will squeak and a simple test is spray anything rubber with WD40 or a silicone type spray to free the joint, doesn't work on humans I tried that lol and still creak

Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

That was pretty funny techbod Actually it looks like the brakes are making the squeak. I had a look at the rear pads and they are worn down pretty good and it looks like all the rotors are kinda lumpy which sucks So this may be a good time to upgrade the brakes a little. Does anyone have any suggestions on some aftermarket pads and rotors that you guys prefer? I want to kick up the stopping power without spending a bunch on a whole brake kit. And I also found something else that looks bothersome... It seems as though there is some sort of grease flinging around the front driverside wheel well, any ideas what that might be? Thaks again for the info

Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Default RE: Funny squeak that's not so funny

there is a difference between a squeak and a scrape, when the pads are worn you hear a metal to metal noise and that means pads and disks/rotors but in most cases it means the system wasn't serviced right and all moving parts were not cleaned and copper slipped/greased