AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   S Car Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/)
-   -   How loud should the Turbos be? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/how-loud-should-turbos-2169/)

Marc911951 08-06-2004 01:21 AM

How loud should the Turbos be?

Hey all, humor me, I'm new and a Porsche weenie :D

How loud should the Turbo's be at WOT, when I hit it I get an audible whine, nothing to loud.
My old 951 you really heard that Turbo.

Thanks!

P.S. after 2 days I am starting to really love the S4!

Hard Driver 08-06-2004 02:17 AM

RE: How loud should the Turbos be?

I've only had my S4 2 days as well. But they do seem really really quiet. I'm used to a Talon turbo with aftermarket bits that spooled with a loud whine and made a really loud pssst blowing off pressure. This car does not sound or feel like a turbo. It feels like a powerful V8 or something. It just pulls, I love it.

2000 S4 black/black too :-)

Marc911951 08-06-2004 02:55 AM

Hey hard Driver, congrats on the S4 purchase.

I guess I am being paranoid, keep reading about Turbo issues on the 2000 cars.
My car is super clean and well cared for but I will feel better when my mechanic checks it over, I do NOT trust the dealer.

ImolaS4 08-06-2004 03:34 PM

Get a boost gauge and a VAG-COM. Then you can keep a vigilant eye on your systems.

The turbos make a noticeable, but not loud, whine - when it/they get loud, like a dentist drill, then you have trouble.

Marc911951 08-06-2004 05:07 PM

Thanks for the input Imola! I agree, Boost guage is a must.

norcaltrojan 08-09-2004 10:23 PM

What type of boost guage do you guys prefer? For instance, APR offers two: one that goes from 0-30 psi and another that reads from 30in.Hg-25psi. Which company offers the guage that sits in the vent (but still looks like a vent) as opposed to the one that sits where a vent should be with a solid housing? If you are more visual, the one APR offers would be the latter to which I referred.

shon 08-10-2004 01:32 AM

im trying to order a VDO Vent mount kit from avalonmotorsports, but their order system is like trying to get into a high security airport... its taking quite a while..

ImolaS4 08-10-2004 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: norcaltrojan
......Which company offers the guage that sits in the vent (but still looks like a vent) as opposed to the one that sits where a vent should be with a solid housing? If you are more visual, the one APR offers would be the latter to which I referred.
The gauge you may be referring to is the one from AWE.

99a4audi 10-19-2004 12:39 AM

they arent that loud compared to some turbos ive heard in cars, but they def pull there own weight

Deleted User 10-19-2004 09:10 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]