S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Off to run the Tail of the Dragon!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:21 AM
2nd Gear
Default Off to run the Tail of the Dragon!

If all goes as plan - later this week I will be running the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala skyway and other twisty mountain roads around the great SMokey Mtns Nat park in Tenn/N. Carolina....yup yup - can't wait....nice test for the new suspension setup! - I am pissed that I'll be doing it my snow tires though (Vredstein Wintrac Extremes - could be worse...)....as I bent all 4 of my summer wheels last Sunday [:@] - (I'm also waiting on Audi for a vacume system tube piece for my brakes that is temporarily fixed with superglue...and I won't be driving 1,000 miles on it...if Audoi doesn't come through I'll be taking my bimmer down - still it should be great fun (with either car - and even with the snows on the Audi...)...check it out:

http://guestlinetn.com/TailoftheDragon.cfm

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Old 10-23-2006, 06:40 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Off to run the Tail of the Dragon!

Sounds unreal & naughty boy on bendin all those rims[sm=chairshot.gif]

Hey Roadhawk make sure u bring back some pics so we can salivate

Old 10-23-2006, 07:04 AM
2nd Gear
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: MICHAELMARC

Sounds unreal & naughty boy on bendin all those rims[sm=chairshot.gif]

Hey Roadhawk make sure u bring back some pics so we can salivate

Yeah will do...I've been meaning to put a vid camera mount in the car - but haven't yet...so stills it will likely be...I have been known to videotape while driving...but not on this kind of road (though did video driving through [a great many] Bison in Badlands National Park in August!) ...I have taken a road like this in the Sierras in California entirely using my knees! (no hands)...on a dare...my passenger (who dared me that I couldn't do it) was ready to jump out of my car at times!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear

Man u r nuts driving with u knees![sm=exactly.gif]

and i hope we u post pics or vids that u car comes thru after it all being straight

Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

wow.. nice.. very nice...

the #1 sports car road in America...

cant wait to see the vid.
we have numbers for our hwys or generic names like "Ortega Hwy"
but TAIL OF THE DRAGON
man that sounds badazz...

Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Site Moderator

how on earth did you bend all 4 wheels?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear

If you're near Savannah, GA, hit me up!

Old 10-23-2006, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

...Sorry Mott - won't get so far as Savannah - maybe another time.

There are lots of great vids out on the web of this road - some on Youtube - others on the Tailof the Dragon site I posted earlier. One on youtube I think has a run all the way through (speeded up a bit)....awesome...turns are very very tight...while the cherohala skyway is a mit more sweeping (higher speed!) - sort of like autocross versus track I think...I love these type of roads...10 years ago (in my SUpercharged Toyota MR2!!!) I ran the entire Blue Ridge Parkway (from Smokey Mtns to entrance to Sheanendoah park) with the philosophy - no motorcycle will pass me...well only one managed to the entire way - and not for trying...of course I warped both my front brake rotors on that run! I've also done similar runs accros Colorado, in Arizona (Navaho reservation), and in California among other places. I'm convinced I hold the record from LA to San Fransicso on the PCH/rt 101 highway (8 hours! yup - as fast as I've ever done it on I-5)...it was totally heavily fogged in and I began early in the Am and almost no one was on the road! Anyway I'm gettin really psyched! TurbBuddah - I don't think I'l be videoing....but I'll try to stop and take some pics of the road & scenery...I will be meeting some folks down there - but I may have a time convincing anyone to ride passenger (let alone vid) - my rep preceedes me [8D] ...and of course I will offer - saying - "come with me for a nice drive in the mountains to see the fall color....will you be requiring a barf bag or will you be bringing your ow! lol)

Bent all 4 wheels on a road cut on a major (65 mph) road...first two were fine - so I didn't slow down - was going speed limit 65 mph exactly - and the construction repaving cut was real harsh - like hitting a sidewalk curb at 65 mph...I'm surprised I didn't flaten any tires! Anyway - all 4 wheels are egg shaped now.... [:@]

Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Site Moderator

are you taknig a claim with the city?

Quick Reply: Off to run the Tail of the Dragon!