S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 PM
1st Gear
Default oil change intervals

I'v been changing my oil in my 2.7t about every 2.5-3k try to do it before 3k. BUT my friend says that doing it that much could mean i have a oil leak, I know these cars use alot of oil so i disagreed with him but the dipstick was at the very minimum at about 2.5k should i be worried about a oil leak at all?! I don't notice bluish smoke out the exhaust but the tailpipes of the muffle are heavily covered with black particles but thats probably normal.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:29 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil change intervals

I believe if your using the recommended full synthetic you don't need to change it but around every 10k miles. If your losing that much oil every 2.5k miles might be something to look into but not sure that sounds completely horrible.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear

10k miles no way, I would not go any longer then 5 if at all possibl. I always change mile right before I hit 3k and have had no issues. I know these cars are prone to leaks on the valve covers.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

i change mine every couple months or every 2-3000 miles. Some of todays modern synthetics can be run for 5000 or even 10,000 miles but most people still reccomend changing it more often, mostly becaust motor oil companies do the same to make more money.

Oil leaks can be pretty common on the s4, also hard to find. How many miles are on the car? You could just top it off for now and then do a full change in another 1000 miles

Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

ya my car has 104k miles on it right now, i'm gonna have it looked over for leaks soon, what are some common parts that tend to leak other than the valve covers and what needs to be done to fix this, i don't do much wretching myself so what kind of labor would i be looking at. and if anyone has a recommendation on a good mechanic in the kansas city area let me know, i know a few atm but if you have good experience with one or someone who would know what to look for on oil leaks send me a message or sometin.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

I'd say pretty much any engine oil leak is going to cost you a bit to get fixed. I'd say pick yourself up a Bentley manual and learn to wrench, you will save your self a ton of money. For example a TB job is going to cost around 1000-1200 to get replaced, when you can buy all the parts for around 300-400 and do it yourself. But if you have the money go ahead and have a professional do it.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

I wold definitely change (long) before hitting the 10k mile mark between oil changes. I mean, we're talking like $30-$40 to change your oil, why risk it by going 10k miles between changes? I would stick with oil changes around the 3-5k mile mark, better safe than sorry considering the price of new turbos.

As far as the oil leak goes, I would do my best to identify where it's coming from. Pull the belly pan off (even if you don't do much wrenching, this is easy to do as it is only secured by a few 1/4 turn screws) and see if you can see any leakage from the underside. Second, go drive around a bit and with the engine running, lift the hood and see if you can smell burning oil (not from the exhaust, but see if you can smell oil that might be leaking onto the exhaust). I would start there. I think reiem has the right idea, oil leaks can get expensive pretty quickly. You might want to consider just leaving it and continuing to top it off until it gets worse.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear

30-40$ oil change? where? What oil and filter are you using?

I use Elf 5w-40 synthetic and I spend almost 65 dollars on just the oil.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

I use Mobil 1 0W40. Walmart usually has it for about $4-5/quart, I buy 6-7 quarts depending on how much I have leftover from the last change and use a Bosch filter. Doesn't usually exceed about $40. I should note though, this is me changing my own oil in my garage, not going to Grease Monkey or somewhere else.

$65 just for oil seems pretty high, even for Elf.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

4-5 bucks a quart? Is that even full synthetic? I only use full synthetic for any car and it's usually a bit more but usually lasts a bit longer.

Quick Reply: oil change intervals