AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   S Car Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/)
-   -   oil temp warm up (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/oil-temp-warm-up-121978/)

loopin 01-03-2009 12:43 AM

oil temp warm up

hey just wondering about how long to wait till you can "safely" go wot in a b5 s4, i was just wondering do you guys wait for the engine temp only or should you wait for the oil temp to come up too?

meatbiscuit 01-03-2009 01:19 AM

I might be a little overly cautious, but I'm Stage 2+ and don't want to fork out $2-3k to buy K04s right now. Some people will argue with me, but, in my opinion, cranking up the boost on a set of K03s will likely cause premature failure and I can't risk killing my K03s right now. Running high boost on turbos that aren't at operating temp is asking for trouble.

That being said, I usually let my car sit in the garage and idle for at least 2-3 minutes before driving it. Then, I usually shift at 2k RPM and accelerate slowly until I reach operating temp (coolant). Then I usually drive normally, shift 3k RPM or so, accelerate faster, but even then, I won't go WOT until my oil temp is 175-200 degrees.

Just my .02

LowA4 01-03-2009 02:30 AM

Mine doesn't see ANY boost until the oil temp is atleast 175*. I may be overly cautious though. I don't want to fork out for K04's yet either.

CamoA6 01-03-2009 07:51 AM

I usually just wait until the coolant temp is right between C and H. And my oil temp is 2 notches up.

loopin 01-03-2009 10:13 AM

Yea thats what iv been doing, you guys think its ok when the coolent temp is up to take it to below 3k rpms? i just usually hit the highway on the way to school and sit at around 80-85 right around 3k any probs there?

DraxeofDclan 01-03-2009 12:43 PM

I'll be the one to say, I want my K03s to go. With that said, I start my car and as soon as the Idle drops(about 1 min.) Im driving off for 2 miles @ 40mph shifting @ 3K rpm. Then its HW101 with a short uphill on-ramp, by this time my coolant temp is up and oil has just moved. With little time to get to speed and merge, I admit WOT. I've done this for over four years, five days a week. I know its not the best thing, but god damn those K03s just wont die. Oh and I never change my oil....just the filter. Im sure I'll get shit for this but the fact is my S4 runs great.

RED_01 01-03-2009 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by DraxeofDclan (Post 1018385)
I'll be the one to say, I want my K03s to go. ...... Oh and I never change my oil....just the filter.

Well, with this routine it shouldn't take long to kill your k03s and the engine both.

Why not pull the plug out while your under there anyway?
It's what, like 12 inches away?:P

You do realize that oil viscosity breaks down over time from blow-by gasses and basically just being used right?

It is your car so, "Que será será"!

DraxeofDclan 01-03-2009 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RED_01 (Post 1018446)
Well, with this routine it shouldn't take long to kill your k03s and the engine both.

Why not pull the plug out while your under there anyway?
It's what, like 12 inches away?:P

You do realize that oil viscosity breaks down over time from blow-by gasses and basically just being used right?

It is your car so, "Que será será"!

It shouldnt take long??? Uh.....four years isnt long? I dont want to have to explain oil again....its synthetic(it wont break down).....if you add oil booster, all is like new.
As for "It is your car so, "Que será será"!. Then why state the previous? You'll never hear me criticise, adding unnecessary comment.

derek072887 01-03-2009 11:06 PM

please explain your precise oil you use... cause i know a few companies run multiple grade of synthetic Amsoil for example, they do have an oil they say will last a year or 10000 miles, and they say to just change the filter every 3000 miles and top the oil back off... but even they say to change the oil once a year or every 10000 miles... synthetic oil doesn't mean it doesn't break down... it just means its man made... and still it is NEVER fully synthetic.....

bottlecap 01-03-2009 11:26 PM

operating temp for oil should be at least 140*. its best for the engine to warm up fully obviously but 140 is okay