AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   S Car Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/)
-   -   Press Clutch to Start (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/press-clutch-start-19747/)

John Galt 11-14-2005 09:34 PM

Press Clutch to Start

I'm new to the group, and just picked up my 2004 S4 6MT. The car runs great, but three times in the last two days, When I try to start it after it has sat for a few hours, the driver info center tells me that I have to press the clutch to start, even though the clutch is on the floor. Teh car won't even turn over. I crawled under the dash and stuck my hand up around the clutch pedal arm, and found what I think is the switch. It was not depressed (neither was the clutch at the time), so I pushed it in as far as I could, and it stayed there. I tried to start it two more times, and on the second attempt it started up no problem.

Has anyone else had this issue? I took it to the dealer, but it is going to be more than two weeks before they can get it in to look at it. It has 37,000 miles, so is still under warranty. I can make the car start, but was wondering if anyone had a simpler work-around than crawling under the dash every time this happens.

Any advice is appreciated.

JG

techbod 11-14-2005 10:09 PM

RE: Press Clutch to Start

any attempt to bypass the problem now you told the garage will void your warranty, they should provide you with a runabout which your warranty should cover till they fix your car

AudiTech04 11-15-2005 12:10 AM

Most likely one of the two clutch position switches is bad most likley the bottom one

I could tell you how to adjust it that might fix the problem but you would definatly brake it

Then it wouldnt be covered so just wait till you can get it in the shop

John Galt 11-15-2005 01:44 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I just drove it after it sat for a feww hours, with no issues. tomorrow morning will likely be another story though. Good thing I have skinny hands.

scarzie 11-15-2005 11:46 AM

I actually just discovered the same problem on my 01.5 s4. After 2 tries it does turn over and on, and when it is warm it starts on the first time.

John Galt 01-30-2006 11:41 PM

Ok, so I took it into the Audi dealer since I'm still under warranty, and told them what was going on with the no starting after it sat overnight, but fine onec it was started in the morning. They called later that day and told me that the clutch switch was bad, and they ordered one and replaced it. I was out of town, so they kept the car for a few days, and when I picked it up, it started fine. Then, the next morning it was back to the same no start crap again. It took me two weeks to get it into the dealer the first time, and I had to go out of town for a month, and just got back last week. It's still doing the same thing.

Here is what I discovered. First, after I got it started a few days ago, I turned it off, and then with the clutch on the floor, turned the ignition to on, but not to start. The "Press clutch to start" message came up, without even trying to start it. Is that normal?

That got me thinking that perhaps it is the ignition switch, but that doesn't really explain why it only has a problem starting first thing in the morning. Then I thought that perhaps it was low on hydralic fluid for the clutch and even though I had it the pedal on the floor, it wasn't disengaging fully, causing the message. I checked the HF level, and it is right on the full mark. Plus, it shifts fine, and there is no indication that there is anything wrong with the clutch operation.

I have no faith in the Audi dealer, plus I just bought a house, so I haven't had time to take it back in. Any advice or other's experiences with this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

John Galt 02-11-2006 10:28 PM

My car is now in the shop for the third time, and they still haven't fixed it. What I'm wondering now is why I'm not the Service Manager for this dealership. The first time I took it in, I said, it's giving me this press clutch to start message, maybe it's the clutch switch. The installed a new clutch switch, and told me it was fixed. It wasn't. the second time I took it in, I said, I don't think it's the clutch switch, because it gives the same message even when it starts. Maybe it's the ignition switch. Two days later, they said, " We replaced the clutch switch again, and found a pin on the ignition that was shorting, so we fixed that and everything is fine. It wasn't. So, the last time I said, "You all did check the starter before didn't you?" Guess what. They called me yesterday and said they ordered a new starter for my car. WHAT THE HELL? If they aren't going to do anything except check what I tell them, then what the hell do I need them for? They've "fixed" or replaced two parts that most likely were perfectly fine to begin with. Are all Audi dealer's this pathetic or did I just get lucky?

savant 02-12-2006 09:37 PM

That's scary if it turns out to be the starter. I've got a new-to-me 2001 S4 Avant doing the same thing. The care only has 22,000 miles on it. Same thing, only when its cold. Please let us know if the starter helps.

John Galt 02-13-2006 11:37 AM

Scary is right. I have 38,600 on my 04. It just pisses me off that I'm the only one doing any thinking about this. Maybe I'm doing a Jedi Mind Trick without knowing it. "These are not the droids you're looking for. Now change my f..king starter."

CaRCrAzY9229 02-14-2006 05:04 PM

Since we are on the topic of starters. Does a aftermarket remote start void any warranties?