S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 with 150k miles. Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Question S4 with 150k miles. Reliable?

So I'm new here. I have always like Audi's and thought it would be a great first car. There's a 00' 2.7 S4 nearby with 150,000 miles. It's manual and has all the service records. Timing belt and o2 sensors changed 1000 miles ago. Both the exterior and interior look amazing.

-Is it to many miles for a S4? And what repairs should I expect early on.

I know Audi's are high maintenance and that they get expensive pretty fast, but I've prepared my self for this and put money aside (just incase). Would I be better of with a A4 with the same amount of miles.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Well....

that is an almost unanswerable question. Any car with 150K miles is going to have the occasional maintenance issue. It seems like the previous owner has done a good job with keeping up on the routine service. that is pretty key for longevity for our cars. nothing beats taking care of the routine stuff to keep little "things" from becoming big "things"

as far as the 2.7 vs 1.8...well 1.8 is easy to get some quick easy power with just a chip. the 2.7 is easy to get some quick easy power with just a chip. 1.8 is a bit easier on the wallet for parts and such, but just a bit easier. you will save yourself a lot if you are willing and able to do your own maintenance. forums like this, and others, will be immensely helpful.

best advice at this point is to poke around our forums for a bit. it will give you a great idea what to expect as most people come here when they are having a problem.

good luck

have fun

Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

150K miles is not too much for the car and if you are prepared to do some maintenance in the future that's ok. There are some basic stuff what you need to change time after time but I would say that turbos and leaks related to them are causing issues. Manual gearbox will last long time, other that Tiptronic.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Alright so I checked out the carfax and talked to the owner.

Things I didn't like were that it was repainted recently, so I don't know if the paint or prep where any good. And when looking over the car fax I saw that maintenance was done every 12k miles. Which seems a lot, seeing as we do it every 3k. Another thing he told me was that he got this car when he was 17, so I have a pretty good idea how hard this car has been pushed.

Should I just pass on this car and look for another?

Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 AM
1st Gear

I always say that trust your first impression everything in life. Normal maintenance interval is 15000km or one year in normal conditions.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

Well my commute to school is about 3 miles, so I doubt I'll even put 3k in one year.

What does maintenance include? Everywhere I read it says Audis are high maintenance, why? Is $1k a good amount to set aside incase something goes wrong?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

Basic maintenance includes oil and filters for oil and air. How much it will cost depends who will do the job. Oil and filters you can do yourself. I might remember wrongly but sparkling plugs need to change 60k km or 4 years interval. Might be tricky but you can do it yourself (difficult to access). What comes to expensive mantenances like timing belt change... 1k $ is probably not enough. At least it cost to my car something like 1500-2000€. How often that needs to be change is location related, here in Finland it's 90k km but in some other countries it's 120k km.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

165k+ on my stage 3.. still doing just fine. take care of the simple maintenance as some others mentioned and itll be good for a while..

Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

Well I talked to my schools Auto teacher( 10yrs at school, owned shop for 20yrs) and he gave me some more info about Audis. Hes also gonna help me out and go see the car with me and check everything out. He also told me the Auto class could do most basic repairs at no cost, but theirs obviously the risk they'll mess something up.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

So maintenance wise I could probably save a couple hundred at the end of the year

Quick Reply: S4 with 150k miles. Reliable?