S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Is an S4 to extreme for a 17 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Is an S4 to extreme for a 17 year old?

I've been driving around a jeep wrangler for a year now and I consider myself a good driver compared to most of my peers. Or should I stay with an A4 and do a few mods to it. I just want something above average speed wise. I was also looking at a few subaru impreza WRX's.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:37 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Is an S4 to extreme for a 17 year old?

any 17 year old shouldent have an s4, get an a4, get a feel for the german engineering, then if you think your ready, buy an s4...

its alot of car for a kid like me your you to handle, i can barely handle my a4, im only 18 and i've been tracking it alot... its alot of car for us inexperienced folk...

fyi: driving a jeep wrangler doesnt make you a good driver by any means, take the wrangler to the track then we see how you do...

lol

Old 09-27-2006, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

No idea what "a lot to handle" means this day and age. 17 year olds getting drafted to play pro sports, but they can't drive an S4? 17 year olds nearly able to go to Iraq, but can't drive an S4?

I've seen 40 year old people who drive like crap. I think it all depends on your maturity level and skill. If you speed frequently, then it doesn't matter what car you're in. On the plus side, this car is loaded with safety features, and it is an AWD.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Site Moderator

yeah i second that.. age is really irrelevant.. its more maturity and your ability to make good decisions and waht not.. I mean... just cause a car has power does it mean you have to use it all the time? you can get into trouble in any car... even my parents tahoe will do 110

Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Site Moderator

yeah i second that.. age is really irrelevant.. its more maturity and your ability to make good decisions and waht not..

Old 09-27-2006, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear

Agreed, if you respect the car, then you won't be driving it like a maniac all the time.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator

hell.. i probably drive more conservative with my S now then i did in my dads bonneville or my old ford probe.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

Exactly, everytime I get the chance to drive a nice car I always baby it. When the chance presents itself then I'll push her.

i.e. i drive my 93 accord harder than when hano lets me drive his s4, i just baby the car, thinking about what the car is constantly doing and if i'm hurting her at all

... haha, "her", i love cars

Old 09-27-2006, 02:54 PM

age has nothing to do with it ( competence ) is the answer, if you passed your driving test then your considered competent " when driving just make sure that little beast in the head doesn't take over" and treat the car with the respect it warrants

Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear

I agree with many of the above answers - but will caution you on several fronts. Obviously your not the first 17 year old to own & drive a truly fast and capable car. The S4 - in addition to being a potential speedster does include some safety elements such as AWD, very good brakes and decent handling that might be more forgiving then other cars with just power. No 17 year old will have sufficient experience driving to push the limit of such a car and be able to deal with all potential situations you might land yourself in - so I'd advise against overconfidence - even if the car gives you such. Be careful going to a lesser capable car as well - because you will not be able to do some things that are routine in a quattro - just be forewarned. If you get the S4 - or something similar - just remember to keep your head about you and try not to get too carried away or drive under the influence or such where any mistake might prove very costly. Other considerations with an S4 are maintence and ability to afford such. Depending on your mechical ability, patience, available funding - etc - an S4 (I assume you are talking a used one...)...anyway this and insurance cost of course would all be considerations. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is an S4 to extreme for a 17 year old?