S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Switched ICMs, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Default switched ICMs

OK i switched the ICMs, when I took them off there was alot of dirt and grim around a little but under the icms, So i took some wiredryer and cleaned them up. I noticed that the car runs better, but still not 100%. I took it for a spin around the block and opened it up a liitle, no check engine light flashing. Still sputters but not as bad. So now I am going to go threw all the connections and pack out the coilpacks and clean them and see what happens from there.

Last edited by DSMKiller; 05-04-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 AM

you said you checked your plugs right?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

Hmm, I'm sure this wont fix your problem, but make sure that the ICMs are touching the metal piece under it as good as you can get it. When I bought a new ICM it came with a conductive grease to put between the ICM and metal piece underneath it. So the ICMs must ground themselves or something. Just a heads up if you didn't catch it yet

Oh and when my cylinders were misfiring, my car sounded just like a Subaru Impreza. No lie. I don't know if that is the sound your car is making or not. Bummer its taking so long to figure this out! Darn Audis take forever to diagnose the issue at hand.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear

^^^you sir are correct about the grease.

to OP, make sure you pick up some heat sink grease from radio shack or similary, $3 for the tube. there must be some of that on the ICM or it will die quick and not be very conductive to the metal on metal. just spread a little on there, rub it around and then screw on the ICMs.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

Mines sounds like a subaru as well, what did you do to fix your misfires?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

So I switched my coil pakcs with #1 and #2 had the codes read and still missfire on cylinder #2. So that eliminated the coilpack and wires. I switched the ICMs and cleared the codes. Now I have a misfire on cylinder #2 and #5. Cleared the codes and switched the ICMs back. And now I just have a misfire on cylinder #2. So does this mean my ICMs are shot?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 PM

sounds like it...i love the sound of the boxer engine tho so id just leave it as is

Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear

its just your icm for bank 1. mine did the same exact thing. you will get misfires on cyl 2 even when you switch to bank 2 icm because it has been misfiring, the number of them should however drop. just replace the one for bank 1(closest to the firewall IIRC). good luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

There is one on ebay for $80. Where would you recomend getting a new ICM. Autoparts store around town or online?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

^^^ I know! I wanted it to sound like that forever! Idling it sounded B A. I ended up only replacing one ICM because I figured out the the misfire moved with the ICM. But it definitely sounds like at least one of your ICMs are shot. Hard to tell for you, but my VAGCOM could sit there and count every single misfire. And when I switched the ICMs, for some reason I got a few misfires from the good ICM but they stopped. So maybe its just setting off the misfire code for cylinder #2 because of those few misfires. All while cylinder #5 is misfiring like crazy. Thats just my input.
I know that ICMs are expensive, but I got mine for relatively cheap from some place on the web. I can't find the papers though, I'll try and find them tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Switched ICMs, won't start