2013 S5 "on center" steering slop

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
1st Gear
Default 2013 S5 "on center" steering slop

Hi guys, my wife wants to go back into Audis and we were recently doing some test drives. She came from a highly modified A4 B5 with 300k, yes 300k miles on it! That engine just would not die. Despite the mileage, it registered roughly 4% difference among cylinder compression...impressive! Everything else fell apart, but the engine was solid - even when APR tuned for most of its life.

So back to topic. We test drove a 2013 S5 and A5. Obviously, the S5 was faster. But A5 was surprising that it also felt pretty quick at start up. I'm sure the 258 ft-lbs of torque had something to do with it. But the S5 was much faster on the highway once you get going (hp rules here). What I did notice on the S5 was that the "on center" feel was a bit off. I.e. - there seemed to be a bit of play or slop at on center. This was a bit disconcerting and I think this is a deal killer. It felt like there was something wrong with the steering rack.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem? What's the fix? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.