B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 B8 Battery Coding

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 B8 Battery Coding

Hi all,

I have done some digging on the internet regarding this subject, but cannot find a definitive answer. Basically last week i had my car battery replaced in my B8 by a 3rd party company (they kept the car alive whilst they swapped the battery)

I called Audi today to ask them to check the car over, as i was still getting the low battery message on the MMI for quickness as I live quite far away from garage who fitted the battery.

Audi are telling me that the new battery needs to be coded, as the system still thinks that the old battery is installed, therefore still running in power saving mode and will only return to normal functionality once the system is aware of the new battery BUT they can't do it because the battery has to be genuine Audi OEM and no other battery can be coded in (i have had a Varta fitted)

The guys at the garage have said they should be able to code in a 3rd party battery if i return it to them - but Audi are telling me otherwise.

So my question is, has anybody on these forums swapped out a B8 battery for a 3rd party one and managed to recode it?

Cheers

Rob

Last edited by robst3r; 11-16-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Just saw your post

Rob,

I hope you were able to sort out your problem. Just saw your post.

I have been scratching my head after getting wildly conflicting info from various forums and battery suppliers. I have had no answers or useful replies from the forums.

Theoretically, I believe it is easy to recode the battery using VCDS (screen 19-CAN@gateway _> Long Adaptation -> Channel 4 -> Battery identification) if the new battery has a 10-digit BEM code stamped on it, just by a QR code like VAO 180521L053.

The problem for me is that the 4 battery suppliers I spoke to cannot supply batteries with this 10-digit BEM code, indeed 3 did not (allegedly) understand the question. This may be another Audi “how to add value” (er for themselves) initiative.

I just saw this :

http://bannerbatterien.com/banner/fi...echnik_GB3.pdf

So I will probably fit a new Varta 560 408 054 or a Bosch S4 / 027 battery, of the same capacity as my OEM battery (60-61Ah) and the same dimensions, then I will use a back up power source to preserve settings, later delete all historical “low power” MMI warnings using VCDS and see what happens.

If all else fails I will use trial and error to guess another BEM code but if the code has a modulus check that might take a while until I hit on a correct BEM code. Then in a few days, I will override the system and input the original code via VCDS.

May I ask, did you fix your problem ? If it “fixed itself” that would kind of support what the Banner link says, above.

Kevin

Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Certified

They are probably correct on the battery registration. I know the Q7 have to have battery registered & BMW has been doing that since the E65's were introduced in 02'.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:26 AM
1st Gear

Hi Kevin,

After a lot of headache and getting absolutely nowhere, i reluctantly took it to Stafford Audi to fit the battery. They reassured me that the battery i had fitted was not the same voltage as the OEM battery (this may explain why nobody was able to get into the battery management module to code it).

I was told that i would require an Audi OEM bottery, and any car with active battery management would require one. They quoted me £315 initially to which i challenged saying that was ridiculous, and was restrictive practices. They then dropped it to £266 and i ended up getting it done.

So, £266 plus a virtually brand new varta battery and the problem is now resolved. I know that they completely disconnected the battery in order to fit it, and reset the battery management.

Would probably suggest ordering an Audi OEM battery, then coding it with VCDS just to be on the safe side. I just wanted mine fixed which is why i took it to Audi......

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Possible progress ?

Rob,

Thanks for the info.

Yesterday, my local Audi dealer quoted me £110.68 to supply an OEM battery but if I wanted it fitted as well the price jumped to an eye-watering £268.63.

Whilst I cannot vouch for it, information from Banner Batterien GmbH suggests that the B8 will "learn" that a new battery has been installed -> http://bannerbatterien.com/banner/fi...echnik_GB3.pdf - oh really ?

Anway, I have bought a Varta Blue non-OEM battery the same voltage, Ah and cold Start rating as the Varta OEM battery for £61 including delivery. I will give this a whirl and if it all goes well I will do a write up.

Alternatvely, if it all goes titsup I will buy the £110.68 battery, with my tail between my legs.

Fingers crossed. Willl install the battery tomorrow.

Thanks, Kevin

Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

Battery issues - AGAIN

So, my long running issue with this still hasn't been sorted out.

The low battery warning is still appearing on the MMI screen of my A4. It doesn't matter how far i drive, or how frequently - it always appears.

After being passed from pillar to post, I have done some diagnostics myself, and checked the battery in VCDS. Battery state of charge is currently 77%, however battery state as shown in MMI is always 10%.

I had a new battery from Audi due to this issue, and it seemed fine for a while. It has been back to them, and they state that the battery, alternator, and battery manager are all working as they should.

Since then I have done some more digging around, and it appears that the battery serial number showing in VCDS is different than the battery in the car - so in my eyes, the car is still in power saving mode because it has never been programmed into the car - hence why the MMI display is always at 10%

Thought i would have a go at programming the serial number myself after finding a few threads - however the instructions i have found do not add up to what i have found.

In VCDS it states that the battery serial number must be 10 digits, and you should omit the starting 3 digits for a Varta battery (in my case).

The serial number is *205 VA030CC0KLP*

If i leave out VA0 i am left with 8 digits in my serial number, and if i leave it in i get 11. Can anyone work out which digits i should be entering please?

Part number currently programmed to VCDS is 8K0915105E - i am taking it that it is static and doesn't change? Then the next 3 digits should be VA0 for Varta obviously.

I have also read that the car will learn that it has a new battery - but this doesn't seem to be the case for me.

People will probably ask why i don't take it back to Audi - well i don't live anywhere near that location any more, and my local dealer wants £138 just for a diagnostics scan so to save time and fuel i thought it would be easier to try it myself.

Any help / advice much appreciated.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Robst3r,

Rob - too complicated for me now but I guess you have tried raising a support request with Uwe and the folks at Ross-Tech to see if they can give a VCDS solution ?

During my researches, now a while ago, somebody at Varta UK suggested on the telephone that - if needed - I might try and find a friendly independent garage with top of the range Bosch diagnostic equipment because that should be capable of generating a BEM code that links the car (i.e. VCDS) with the battery.

As it turned out, the new battery worked fine but (from the Banner web site) I gained the impression that if an old battery is failing, and the car is already in battery power saving mode, then this may inhibit the new battery's "learning process".

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

Oh I hate to say it, but boy has "modern" technology really put a damper on good, old fashioned, car guy interest.

Look what happens when you want or need to replace a damn battery!!!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by headache56
Robst3r,

Rob - too complicated for me now but I guess you have tried raising a support request with Uwe and the folks at Ross-Tech to see if they can give a VCDS solution ?

During my researches, now a while ago, somebody at Varta UK suggested on the telephone that - if needed - I might try and find a friendly independent garage with top of the range Bosch diagnostic equipment because that should be capable of generating a BEM code that links the car (i.e. VCDS) with the battery.

As it turned out, the new battery worked fine but (from the Banner web site) I gained the impression that if an old battery is failing, and the car is already in battery power saving mode, then this may inhibit the new battery's "learning process".

Good luck.
Hi Kevin,

Your thoughts are absolutely spot on, and i am pleased to say that after nearly 2 years i have fixed it myself using VCDS!

As you rightly said i believe that my car has been stuck in power saving mode, and hadn't learnt about the new battery.

This is how i fixed it for any poor souls who are still trying;

1. Viewed the state of the battery in VCDS under 19-CAN gateway > Measuring Blocks > Groups 18,19 and 20

2. Noticed that the battery state of charge was healthy at 77%, but the battery state in MMI was at 10%. This value did not change which explains why the low battery warning was always displayed. After monitoring for 15 minutes with the ignition on, the state of charge was increasing, but the MMI display information did not alter.

3. I viewed the current BEM code in VCDS under 19-CAN Gateway _> Long Adaptation -> Channel 4 -> Battery identification). The code that was stored here was different to the BEM on the battery, so i knew that it hadn't been applied.

4. I applied the BEM code in the following manner - Part number i kept the same as before, then entered the new information as follows;

- (N) Part number - (11 digits) - kept this the same as the previous battery.
- (V) Vendor code - (3 digits) - in my case VA0 for Varta
- (S) Serial number (10 digits, but leaving out the starting 3 digits of manufacturer)

NNNNNNNNNNN VVV SSSSSSSSSS

5. Restarted the car, and behold, the MMI battery state was at 100%!

Battery is charging fine, and the car is now out of power saving mode and running perfectly!

I think the rule of thumb here is that if the battery is replaced before the car goes into power saving mode, then it will probably learn about the new battery itself. If the 10% MMI state has been reached, then it will need coding.

Important to note that this battery was an Audi OEM, hence the BEM code being visible on it - so anybody who is thinking of doing a battery change themselves, i would suggest spending a bit more and using an OEM to be sure.

Regards

Rob

Last edited by robst3r; 04-02-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Further notes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

Fantastic, excellent news. Really well done on you Rob.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 B8 Battery Coding