Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

08 RS4 vs Corvette C5 LS2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 08 RS4 vs Corvette C5 LS2

ORIGINAL: scg87

Here we go again. You guys ever notice how every month or so, we have some we have some fool like the one above come in here talking smack???....

cred05- I hope your car runs mid-high 12's, because if not, you just lost all credibility, or any chance of establishing it to begin w/. All three of those cars are capable of high-12's w/ a good driver.....
You're an idiot...Im not talking smack i was making a statement, i was even down talking my car...not smack talking. I've beat all 3 of those "high-12's w/ a good driver" car's...i must have gotten the extra special mid 12's chip.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cred05

Here we go again. You guys ever notice how every month or so, we have some we have some fool like the one above come in here talking smack???....

cred05- I hope your car runs mid-high 12's, because if not, you just lost all credibility, or any chance of establishing it to begin w/. All three of those cars are capable of high-12's w/ a good driver.....
You're an idiot...Im not talking smack i was making a statement, i was even down talking my car...not smack talking. I've beat all 3 of those "high-12's w/ a good driver" car's...i must have gotten the extra special mid 12's chip.

I'm an idiot??? I seem to recall YOU being the one coming in here saying how Evo's, STi's, and E46 M3's are slow. You didn't downtalk your car, you just said it wasn't fast. You've beat all three in a race, congratulations. Now go race one w/ a driver who knows what the f#ck they are doing, and get back to us on how slow they are.....

Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 01afour

S4RiderR where do you live that 16 yr. olds have modded audis? i didnt even think you could drive at 16 anymore.
I live in Florida, drive an A4, and I'm 16... ? ... wish it was modded though ahah.

Anyways, just to chime into the Audi/ Evo debate, I think it's futile to argue which is the BETTER car... each has its strengths and weaknesses. The BETTER car depends entirely on the driver's intentions and desires. I know this has been pointed out previously, but I thought I'd reiterate.

Evo:
Fast - 0-60 in around 4.7 according to Buschur Racing
Cheap - in the ball park of 30 grand (in comparison to audis that can keep up with it)
uncomfortable - we have all driven, or ridden in one, and yes... it can be a painful ride, but if you're old enough to worry about that, you're too old to drive an evo anyways IMHO

Audi: (namely the RS4)
gorgeous - might be the understatement of the year
comfortable - leather is a sight for sore eyes and savior for sore asses)
fast - 4.3 second 0-60 according to Road and Track
expensive! - somewhere from 80 to 90 grand

I do realize that I have basically stated nothing new, except maybe some numbers to back my assertions, and have taken no side, but i suppose this is my two cents; take it or leave it.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

I'm an idiot??? I seem to recall YOU being the one coming in here saying how Evo's, STi's, and E46 M3's are slow. You didn't downtalk your car, you just said it wasn't fast. You've beat all three in a race, congratulations. Now go race one w/ a driver who knows what the f#ck they are doing, and get back to us on how slow they are.....
Look, either we have differant views on what fast is or my friends have a lemon M3 and a lemon EVO. Ive driven them both multiple times. Nice cars (evo not so much on the inside), they are quick but i dont think they are fast (stock). Neither cars are stock either btw, m3 has an exhaust on it, evo has intake, exhaust and cams. The person driving the M3 knows what hes doing, and the driver of the EVO...not the best but not a complete dumbass when it comes to driving either. I was mostly dissapointed with the M3, i think its eye candy more than anything else. I dont see the big hype over the e46 personnally. The person with the evo ended up selling it and getting a 2004 m5. The M3 and M5 were equally fast. I will tell you that on the free way my car did not romp on the BMW's as much as we did from a dig or from lower speeds. (Obvously bc of AWD and some other factors) It was pretty close.

Obviously stock b5 s4 vs those cars will come out losing no matter what. But for the price you can get an s4 and chip it is still less than any of the others.

The EVO apperantly runs 11.7 with race gas...but i never saw any proof of that. Out of all the cars the EVO definately has more potential for less and have an enourmous aftermarket

You obviously havent had any experience with these cars you just saw some numbers on paper...so next time dont attack someone about what they say because you dont know the facts

jeffalb - I would rather believe the numbers i see from buscher than what you see in car and driver (if there is a differance). Reason being that Buscher is someone who has experience with those cars, where the drivers at a magazine company like that you cant always be sure of. Especially i have noticed with AWD cars, launching a car correctly makes a huge differance and im not always sure they do that, but who knows

Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

stop hijacking this thread with your debate ^ looks like this should head to e-fights thread (even though it looks to me like cred05 doesnt know what he is talking about)

Old 01-18-2008, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Swaynest

stop hijacking this thread with your debate ^ looks like this should head to e-fights thread (even though it looks to me like cred05 doesnt know what he is talking about)
I agree, sorry for the hijack.

Dont understand why i am being attacked here...this is my experience with these cars/personaly opinion...but honestly i dont care--ive had more experience with building/owning and being around fast cars probably than both of the people claiming that i dont know what im talking about </pointless argueing>

Old 01-19-2008, 01:01 PM
2nd Gear

Look, either we have differant views on what fast is or my friends have a lemon M3 and a lemon EVO. Ive driven them both multiple times. Nice cars (evo not so much on the inside), they are quick but i dont think they are fast (stock). Neither cars are stock either btw, m3 has an exhaust on it, evo has intake, exhaust and cams. The person driving the M3 knows what hes doing, and the driver of the EVO...not the best but not a complete dumbass when it comes to driving either. I was mostly dissapointed with the M3, i think its eye candy more than anything else. I dont see the big hype over the e46 personnally. The person with the evo ended up selling it and getting a 2004 m5. The M3 and M5 were equally fast. I will tell you that on the free way my car did not romp on the BMW's as much as we did from a dig or from lower speeds. (Obvously bc of AWD and some other factors) It was pretty close.

Obviously stock b5 s4 vs those cars will come out losing no matter what. But for the price you can get an s4 and chip it is still less than any of the others.

The EVO apperantly runs 11.7 with race gas...but i never saw any proof of that. Out of all the cars the EVO definately has more potential for less and have an enourmous aftermarket

You obviously havent had any experience with these cars you just saw some numbers on paper...so next time dont attack someone about what they say because you dont know the facts

jeffalb - I would rather believe the numbers i see from buscher than what you see in car and driver (if there is a differance). Reason being that Buscher is someone who has experience with those cars, where the drivers at a magazine company like that you cant always be sure of. Especially i have noticed with AWD cars, launching a car correctly makes a huge differance and im not always sure they do that, but who knows

1) I have plenty of experience w/ all three cars. Three of my friends own STi's. An '04, an '05, and an '06. I know two people w/ Evo's. One an VIII and one a IX. And I almost bought an E46 M3 back before I bought my 350Z a year ago. So to say I don't know my facts is nothing more than an ASSUMPTION on your part. Assuming gets you nowhere.....

2) Everyone's idea of what's fast is different. A drag racer idea of fast for a street car is nothin worse than mid-10's. A Honda-fanboy's idea of fast is anything that breaks into the 15's. That's besides the point. Here's why- You said they were SLOW. You didn't say they weren't very quick, or that they're not all that fast. You said they were slow. I NEVER said they were FAST. They're not. They're pretty quick, but they're not fast, w/ a possible exception to the M3.

3) As for experince w/ the cars at hand- An exhaust-only M3 isn't going to be hardly any quicker than a stock one. An intake, exhaust, cammed Evo should be deep 12's no problem. You're friend must either be aterrible driver, or the car has aterrible tune. That's the ONLY way an Evo w/ said mods could NOT be impressive.

4) I'm not attacking you, I'm just calling it how it is. We always get these Audi-loving freaks coming here w/ their stupid, misconstrued, narrow-minded opinions. You appeared to be one of them, so I called you out. If you're not, just chose your words more carefully. You came off like an arrogant snob because you drive a chipped S4. If you're not, don't make your posts sound like that. That's all I'm saying.

5) Ultimately, comparing theses cars just for straightline's sake, is moot because that's not what these cars were built for. Price is not a reasonable debate, because a used STi or Evo can be had for not much more than a comparable B5 S4. The whole "Well, for whatyou pay for car X, I bought car Y, put a chip and exhaust on it, now it's faster than car X, and still cheaper."But going by that token, you can buy a CRX for a grand, dump money in it, and completely rape an Evo, STi, S4, or M3. It's all relative.....

Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Entertaining read...ha!

Let me start with - I myself drive a chipped B5 S4. But I'm not ignorant enough to say that the STI or Evo is slow (even stock). For me it comes down to image and that had to win out. I think someone earlier touched on this but, im going to break it down again.

Evo, Sti = Punk Kid - Sadly these cars really do have this stigma, whether they deserve it or not.
S4, M3 = Success, Professional, Responsible, etc.

I really don't want to offend anyone, but nearly every Evo or Sti I've seen is being driven by some kid with his mop hair hanging out the bottom of his beenie. I wish this wasn't the case as I really like Evos, but I can't imagine taking a client to lunch in one. I'm not saying that anyone that drives an STi or Evo is a punk kid, but here in Utah it really seems to be the standard driver.

Bottom line is that we are trying to compare two different animals, cars that belong in two totally different classes. We are only putting them together in this thread because they are all "relatively" fast.

I tried not to offend anybody, I just wanted to say how I see things - I think there is some truth to what I have said.

As soon as I can afford a 3rd car it may very well be an Evo or Sti, but I'm not going to trade the B5 beast for anything!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear

^ See, now that I can agree w/. I love STi's and Evo's, but there's too many of them running around where I'm at, and they're just not my style. I almost bought one a while back, but I instead bought a 350Z because it is a 'proper' sportscar, and at least has some class. I def agree w/ the statement that you can tell at least a little abouta driver by the car they are driving......