Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

B6 S4 vs B6 A4 Ultrasport (me)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default B6 S4 vs B6 A4 Ultrasport (me)

Hey everyone,
I need some help understanding this, and I am sure nobody will believe this, as I am still a little in disbelief......what I am interested in is how this is even possible....so here is the story.....
I am on I-78 West yesterday in PA headed to Rt. 309 south.....as I approach the off ramp to get on to 309, a beautiful yellow B6 S4 comes right up on my *** (kind of being a dick...but not the point of the story) we are now both behind a dump truck on the off ramp waiting to merge on 309. Now Rt 309 is a long 2 lane highway, which during the day doesn't have a whole lot of traffic.....as we are getting ready to merge onto 309, the S4 behind me is itching to pass me and the dump truck, and I am eager to pass the truck myself.......I pull out into the left lane of 309 and pass the dump truck, and the S4 is immediately behind me....I realize once he is clear of the truck he will pass me, so I decide to push my car and see what she can do......at this point we are doing about 65-70mph ( I am in 4th gear), as soon as I see him move into the left lane I jump on it.....keep in mind, I realize when I jump on it I am a 1.5 cars in front of him......as I continue to shift through my 6 speed I realize that he is not gaining on me at all.....in fact I would say I pulled away from him slightly......the whole thing only lasted about a 1/2 mile, and I shut it down at 120mph (speed limit 55, not too smart I know)....he continued on and blew passed me (after I shut it down)........how is this possile? I have a 1.8T that is chipped (APR Stage 1+) and I have an exhaust.....he looked stock, but still he has a good 90hp on me......although I think I have more torque.....both cars are quattro, I do not know if he had an automatic....I am 6 speed.....
Please somebody, how is this possible? Please don't say he wasn't racing, because he was.....I will accept the fact that I will get flamed for this and called a liar but it really did happen and I am just trying to understand how? I was recently considering selling my car for a B7 S4, but after these recent events I may rethink that...........

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM

As an owner of an Imola Yellow S4 who lives in SE PA, I can just say that it wasn't me!

If he owned a manual, hcould have been in the wrong gear for acceleration at those speeds (6th). I made this mistake a lot when I first started driving a manual.

Out of curiosity, what does the stage I do for the 1.8? The 4.2 gets 340HP/302tq. Yours starts with 170/166 so to get more torque than a B6 S4, it must be a lot!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

The APR Stage 1+ gets me to 235hp/275ft-lb, plus I have a cat back exhaust as well which may get me to roughly 245hp(ish)/290ft-lb??? I recently found out the S4 has 302 ft-lbs of tq so I was wrong there....I have less HP and TQ.......still puzzled?????

Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM

Sounds like driver incompetence to me. The numbers really don't add up otherwise. I have found that my S4 pulls quite nicely at highway passing speeds and have found myself going 120 and being like "oops, didn't mean to go that fast". So yeah, something's not right there.

The Stage 1+ is a nice mod. Those are some good numbers over the base.