Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

REPOST - 2.6 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default REPOST - 2.6 rebuild

Guys...Made the mistake posting this in the off-topic section = NO RESPONSE [&:]. I figured this would be a better place.

==================================================

Hey Guys...As some of you know I own a 79 D-50 sport with a 2.6 (big 4 cylinder). Maybe some of you other guys have some input. I know we all don't just own AUDI's. I decided to re-build and got a little carried away. Here is what I am doing for MODs. I want some honest opinions including where I can improve perfomance (staying N/A) and maybe what I am doing wrong. Aside form the machine shop work, I am doing everything myself. Here goes:

Block:

1. Bored .30 over
2. Hyper U rings (staying n/a) with moly rings
3. Clevitt Rod and Main bearings
4. New freeze plugs throughout
5. Both balance shafts are removed - 12lbs eachhistory
6. Crank removed and balanced
7. RODS checked for bends
8. Top of block slightly decked for a true flat surface
9. Flywheel lightened from 38lbs to 25lbs. (remeber its a truck and I want my momentum)
10. Fully balanced block with flywheel, clutch, and front crank pulley installed.

Head:

1. Brand New Non-Jet Valve Head
2. Port and polished (intake is port matched to head)
3. Performance CAM - .272 duration with a .435 lift
4. New rocker arms, springs, valves, seals
5. 3 way valve grind
6. ARP Head studs

Carb:

Weber 38mm 450CFM Street Outlaw - Synchronous (best carb you can get for this Application)

Ignition:

1. MSD 6a
2. MSD Blaster Coil
3. MSD Distributor
4. 8mm MSD Wires
5. MSD Plugs (platinum 4 prong)

Fuel Delivery:

1. Carter 4070 electric fuel pump - 4 to 6 PSI (dual filters inlet/outlet)

Exhaust:

1. Pacesetter Header (4-1)
2. 2.5 inch pipe from header all the way back
3. Magnaflow Street Race Series Muffler (2) Going to dual exhaust out by the rear tires.
4. Thinking about a 24" Magnaflow resonator?????

Tranny:
1. Full re-build (seals, synchros, clutch packs, forks)
2. Short Throw Shifter
3. Centerforce Dual friction Clutch

Everything is new form the timing kit to the waterpump, radiator, starter, alternator (75amp) etc. This is a full engine resto. The rest of the truck will come later. I am hoping to acheive 225-230 HP with around the same for torque. Stock the motor was 102HP. This expected gain doesn't sound like much but the truck only weighs 3500lbs. Is this realistic. What do you think?

Thanks..

Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Default RE: REPOST - 2.6 rebuild

is this a dodge d50, smaller the a quarter ton pickup, i had a d150, sounds like you are putting a lot of work into it, it sounds like your on the right track, the only thing i can say is maybe new higher compression pistons and maybe nitrous, but many people do not like nitrous so, and maybe have it tunned when its done, maybe adjust the timing a little, you should be able tomake your 225 goal.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear

It is the D-50 which is a 1/4 ton pickup. I will be using higher compression pistons 10:1 with the .30 bore. I don't know about nitrous yet. I am kinda a newb on that subject. I will have it tuned professionally when it is done so the timing/carb/ignition is sync'd correctly.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 PM

then you might be close to the hp you want but that is a big jump non the less. is this truck 3,4, or 5 speed? i mean if you want more power without nitrous then i suggest higher compression. but you seem to have every angle of the motor down so since you dont want turbo/supercharger then your probly at you limit on what you can do cause it is still a truck.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

Its a 5 speed tranny. What would be a good turbo application with n/a? Maybe 10-13 psi? I don't think a supercharger exists for that motor.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

I'm not going to BS you and pretend like I know what you should do and how much power you should make. I know enouph to know that I don't know, if you know what I mean. But here are my .02. If you were going to go turbo, you needed to know that before going to 10:1 compression. 10:1 is fairly stout for pump gas, not something I would try to throw 10psi at. Also, the cam and header will probably mean weak low RPM torque. One thing you have not mentioned that will make the truck faster and help it from a dig is nice low gears. For a little motor making not-so-much torque, nothing is better. I don't know what it has now, but depending on tire size and how much you care about freeway RPMs will dectate what rear ratio you want. I'm thinking nice and low like 4.56. If you came looking for something you might have forgot, maybe it's the gears. Good luck with your project. Very unique.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

I made some changes with my build and have made the adjustments with the machine shop to produce 8:1 compression. I have decided to quit the pursuit for more and stay strictly n/a. With the extensive block and head work coupled with the .272 duration CAM, torque will be phenomenal starting at 1800 rpm and consistent to 5k. Phenomenal is in context vs. what stock torque was.Good advise on the gearing though. I hadn't thought of that. I know that stock I was turning 3500 rpm at 60mph. I do not know what gears are in there. With the big carb and the exhaust, it will be a breathing machine.If I get 225hpI will consider myself lucky. My initial intentions were to do a retro restoration with a hotnumberunder the hood and a nice set of era correct wheels. I thinkI will stick to this plan.It will be a little nostalgic sleeper. It will turn 30 next year. Maybe I will post up some pics. Ok...back to AUDI talk.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

Wait, you have me confused. If you want to stay N/A, why in the world would you drop the compression to 8:1? That's what you should do if you were going to turbo. But it will cost you a lot of power N/A. I don't know the relationship compression has on low end torque, but more compression absolutely makes more HP. 10:1 sounded good to me for N/A, just not for boost. The more comression the better except that around 11:1 and above you need race gas.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM

^+1 the less compression you have the less power you will make n/a. the 10:1 is a good compression for n/a, i think the rsx type s is 10:1. go back to the 10:1 you will be happy there

Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

I trust the guy machining the block. He is well worth the money. I had a long conversation with him about what I was wanting to accomplish, where I can make sacrifices without suffering too much in performance and improve the overall driveability etc. Keep in mind this is a big 4 cylinder. 8:1 which is stock compression will work great with the other modification I have made. I also am not done thinking about a turbo set-up. I also learned that Whipple can make a very nice supercharger for that motor that is surprisingly affordable. So, the end result is a nice strong motor that will be extremely reliable and drive well but on the same token I will have room to make improvements down the road. You guys know well enough that it won't be long till I make the upgrade. Its what we do. 10:1 would be the better choice with no upgrades in the future. There is no doubting it. 8:1 will give me what I want longterm.

Quick Reply: REPOST - 2.6 rebuild