AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/suspension-28/)
-   -   04 Allroad Suspension (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/suspension-28/04-allroad-suspension-220141/)

lockey999 02-29-2016 08:03 AM

04 Allroad Suspension

Seen lots of posts about the air suspension, but none exactly matching what I'm seeing, so hopefully someone might have an idea of the likely problem?

First symptom was that the front of the car was sitting very low, and when I turned the ignition key, the suspension warning light came on, accompanied by the noise (quite loud) of the compressor working; then took 5 minutes or so before car raised to 'normal' level.

Assumed problem was with compressor, so tried Bagpipingandy's kit, but to no avail. Not sure if compressor was somehow incorrectly installed at this point, as afterwards, you could kick it into action by turning on / off the ignition key, but after 3-4 attempts, car battery appeared to be flat and I couldn't start the car! (in fact not completely flat, but flat enough to not let the car start)

Took to local garage who replaced the compressor (corroded inside), but even the new one makes a considerable noise, and takes several minutes to lift the car, by which time the battery is again flat and won't start the car.

So, I'm guessing something electrical, or is it air leak causing compressor to work over hard, therefore draining battery, but still puzzled why new compressor should be so noisy?? Garage apparently checked airbags all OK.

Thanks

bagpipingandy 03-07-2016 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by lockey999 (Post 1501520)
Seen lots of posts about the air suspension, but none exactly matching what I'm seeing, so hopefully someone might have an idea of the likely problem?

First symptom was that the front of the car was sitting very low, and when I turned the ignition key, the suspension warning light came on, accompanied by the noise (quite loud) of the compressor working; then took 5 minutes or so before car raised to 'normal' level.

Assumed problem was with compressor, so tried Bagpipingandy's kit, but to no avail. Not sure if compressor was somehow incorrectly installed at this point, as afterwards, you could kick it into action by turning on / off the ignition key, but after 3-4 attempts, car battery appeared to be flat and I couldn't start the car! (in fact not completely flat, but flat enough to not let the car start)

Took to local garage who replaced the compressor (corroded inside), but even the new one makes a considerable noise, and takes several minutes to lift the car, by which time the battery is again flat and won't start the car.

So, I'm guessing something electrical, or is it air leak causing compressor to work over hard, therefore draining battery, but still puzzled why new compressor should be so noisy?? Garage apparently checked airbags all OK.

Thanks

describe the suspension symptoms,

does the front keep sinking down low?

does the error light flash for 2 mins on start up?

let me know and I can help

regards

Andy

lockey999 03-07-2016 08:34 AM

Hi Andy

Yes, the front does keep sinking low, going down to the bump stops. I have found that if I leave it at Level 2 and put it into 'jack' setting (pressing up/down buttons simultaneously) it will stay up for a couple of days, but does ultimately still sink.

The error light does flash for at least 2 minutes when you turn the key part-way, and that doesn't lift the front up sufficiently, so you need to repeat it several times to get the car to the correct level. And in most cases, that seems to have run down the battery so you can't start the car...which seems odd that the compressor can drain that much juice out of the battery.

Thanks,
Ian

bagpipingandy 03-08-2016 01:59 PM

Hi, ok,

if the car sinks at level 1 quickly but doesn't sink as quick at higher levels this is an airbag leaking, they only show leaks quicker at level 1, this leak has slowly weakened your compressor so it is now struggling to lift, hence if you wait until the error light stops flashing then turn off the car and back on eventually the 3rd or 4th attempt it will lift up, if you leave it at level 3 it will not sink confirming its the airbag leaking

starting the cars engine will help the compressor run and prevent the battery draining, the compressor draws a lot of power, always start the engine.

you can refurbish the compressor to make it lift quickly again using my repair kit here: www.bagpipingandy.com

I also have new front airbags, what ever corner sinks the lowest has the leak

for more info email me at info@bagpipingandy.com

as always any questions please just ask

regards

Andy