Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

1993 audi quattro front strut replament/repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Default 1993 audi quattro front strut replament/repair

o.k. my friend drop off his 93 audi quattro v6 5 speed
told me he need the front struts changed.
can anyone give me a heads up on any problems they ran into
on doing a job like this. does anyone have a how to on this.
he couldn't find a repair manuel which is always good when
working on something new
i worked on cars for about 7 years and never a audi.
also i hope this is in the right forum spot for this ? .
thanks ryan

Old 03-21-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1993 audi quattro front strut replament/repair

All you really need is a spring compressor. If you have done springs in the past you shouldnt have a problem.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

I just replaced my front and rear this weekend on my 92 100 which is the same car I believe you will be working on------tell you the truth I used a spring compressor on one side and it just got in the way--other side went better without using it---use the car as your compressor--also I used a smaller jack under the ball joint to raise and lower---

While car still on the ground loosen the strut bolt, and the 3 strut mount bolts then raise car up, take mount out and bump stop and boot---you'll see what looks like a plastic sleeve at the base of the strut shaft pry that out----and you'll have a metal ring that yes you need to unscrew-----I used a big pipe wrench--both side were a pain had to heat up and bang on them a bit but they will come off once started they come off smooth----through the top pull strut insert out----install in reverse order--------I opted not to change mounts becuase the one that were in had same play as the new ones I picked up and had visible ware----

any more question give me a shout---vin

Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

hello plz need help when i drive my car strange noise come from front left and right side.i lift the car i moved the tire left and right so there was a play and when i do up and down its ok.2day i took the car to the garage the guy said cv boot is tornup it need to be replace and cv joint too but i dont think that its a cv joint cuz if the cv joint is not good condition it should make noise in turning but when i turn my car there is no noise.when i drive the car straight it make tick tick noise when i press half brake it make more noise when i press little hard brake the noise goes away i check the brake and disk they are in good condition so plz can anyone tell what is it?do i need to change cv joint,tie rod end and ball joint?my car is audi 90 1993 front wheel drive.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:45 AM
1st Gear

Hmm--if the cv joint Boot is torn it's a matter of time before it starts to click after running out of grease-----as far as the strange noise sounds like something with the brakes becuase you only hear it while depressing the brake pedal right?----if you heard that clicking while going straight I'll tell you about my situation last summer; I thought my my cv;s were going same normal clicking heard, but it was more when giving it gas and sometime time's giving gas aroud a corner---brought to my buddy who has a lift---found it coming from one of my Cat's insides were loose and making the clicking----very weird-------so I cut a hole in both gutted and rewelding it up and poof clicky gone-----